Brooksters 29 gal reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My general rule of thumb is cheap rock is good rock. There isn't anything that you can't do to avoid issues simply by drying it out and scrubbing it until your fingers bleed. You want to scrub it to get any gunk out of even the best rock coming out of someone's tank. At that price, bring it home...bring it all home.

Any disadvantage to getting rock from a severely overstocked tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just scrub it in a bucket of sw? For photo period, 7 hours of daylights with the actinic running the entire time than a few hours after daylight goes off? Should I only run act for certain period?

Last edited:
With my lights I have it ramp from about a 20k color for about an hour or two into a more daylight 14k color temp for about 8 hours and then back down to actinic for 2 hours then lights off for 12.

Booom, I need sunglasses haha, spent 20 min at home depot working up this mount, fully adjustable down to a fine thread. Level is my name and hanging leds is my game :)

Attachments

• 1488674102783.jpg
    1488674102783.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 264
Ps- all the crap will be gone and the back will somethinged. Upper will look like this and hide bracket

Attachments

• 1488674259220.jpg
    1488674259220.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 224
PPs- I don't want to hear a word about the yellow trim, painting is my arch nemesis and I'll get around to when I'm not busy doing stuff I don't hate..

Like painting! Painting is fun! I'm getting ready to paint the outside of a little house very soon. Just got done with 2 interiors.

No "shocking" info on the install??? Looks great!

I did so many new plugs! No electrocutions! I went to the nice nice lfs in quincy ma and the sw prices made me cringe and leave. After the shaking subsided I realized not all sw life costs a fortune??? $50/frag.. I probably should never go there again huh?

Like painting! Painting is fun! I'm getting ready to paint the outside of a little house very soon. Just got done with 2 interiors.

No "shocking" info on the install??? Looks great!

I am ripping off aluminum siding, ancient cedar shingles underneath, re-nailing, fixing whatever else is buried in the mess. Installing new white cedar shingle and spraying a weathering stain;) painting is still the worst:p

$50 a frag isn't unreasonable for certain corals. Some of the easy ones you should be able to find easy corals for $10-15 maybe even less. I've definitely spent $80-100 on single frags before though pol

Frag swaps and find the local frag master working from the garage/basement. Usually a quiet secret but there are always someone nearby with a salty thumb and a sharp blade.

Try and locate a SW "club" or facebook group. Often a SW lfs will host a frag fest at their location and you can meet and get the numbers of people and go to them directly. Creative lesser cost options, unless you are Seaweed and order 60 Frags at once!

Some people have fqavorite things and specialize, in different kinds, so maybe get one kind here and a different kind there. We have a "store" mind blowing corals nearby and can get great deals, no shipping and great variety of items at pretty low cost.

Best deals are people who are downsizing and closing down a tank and you can get big, years old stuff for great prices.

Good call aut! I shall seek the master of the frag indeed! Boston Reefers society has a pretty active forumn, sure I could bug someone on there.

Here's what I'm thinking for stocking. Yellow prawn goby, bangaii cardinal and a pair of clowns. Sound ok?

Back
Top Bottom