Check this tank out!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripesTheEel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone,

Im getting very excited as I have begun plans for the ultimate tank.
Although its about 6-7 years away I have begun saving now. Estimates for my system are approximately anywhere between $30k-$45k, dependant on how automated I want this to be. I can save about $5-7k a year.

My tank is going to be approx 8ft long x 3 deep x 3 high. Early days I know.

I hope all my fish are alive and kicking in 7 years!!

And as I'm still learning myself I have been checking out as many tanks as possible.. I happened to stumble across a really great tank and thought I'd share with you..

http://www.djsreef.co.uk/index.html

Great tank!! Similar to Melevs reef a little bigger though..

That is about the size of my tank (3x3x9). Your estimate seems high. I never kept up with it but I estimate I have less than $20K in mine (just tank). Do not forget about the power bill. The MH lighting and the large pumps like electricity, oh yes do not forget the salt mix. I spent $1,900 last month on 10,000 gal of salt mix.

Yeah the only difference here would be the availability differences.. everything is just so pricey here in aus.. even if i dont hit the $30k barrier, i can use the rest to fully automate the system and make it a full blown reef.. but yeah 5 years away... :(

For that much savings you would be better off having someone in the US buying everything and shipping it to you all at once. I was just figuring in my head. Tank, pumps, 2400w MH lights DIY, skimmer for less than $7,000

Back
Top Bottom