Cycled in one week?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flemdogg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So here it is. I started cycling my 90g/30g sump one week ago. 150lbs fiji live rock (from an established system) and 100lbs of dry aragonite. Have only been testing for the past three days so i dont know if ive had an ammonia spike yet.

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm

Have i cycled in record time? Do you think it is safe to add a cuc? What do you think. Thanks for looking at my thread!

What ammonia source did you use? Without adding an ammonia source, there won't be a spike and the cycle won't progress.

None yet i was hoping for some die off from the rock. But what im going to do is add an ammonia source and see how the bacteria colony handles it. Or if thats what i need to jump start the cycle.

I would add an ammonia source for sure. There probably won't be enough die off from the rock to start a good strong cycle. Want ammo to spike up to about 4 ppm to build enough Bb to support fish easily.

I'm not sure I would put that much ammonia in the tank. You may not need to make the water toxic if you have 150 pounds of live rock from an established system in it. Especially if it wasn't out of the water for long. You could very possibly skip the cycle and just wind up with a diatom bloom. A small amount of ammonia to see if the BB that's on the 150 pounds of rock can process it.

It would have been easier if i had been testing water from day one, but oh well. Haha

Back
Top Bottom