Do you think this will work (with pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZoozFishMaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
I wanted to add another reef tank to my collection and recently purchased an AGA 50 gal (36"x18"x18") due to room constraints. I did not realize this tank came with a center brace at only 18" high. I also purchased Outer Orbit's 36" 150W HQI 2 96W PC fixture. Of course, the HQI bulb is positioned directly over the center brace. In order to prevent an awful shadow, I replaced the stock brace with a 1/8" Lexan brace. It is fastened at the ends of the existing brace with Gorilla Glue and by 4 Nylon bolts. Do you think it is structurally sound?

Attachments

• 50gal.jpg
    50gal.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 139
DeFeKt said:
how thick is the glass?

Important question.

Usually, when a tank comes with a center brace, it is because the manufacturer has used thinner glass. The brace makes up for the difference in strength and keeps the sides from bowing out. If your tank came without a brace, it was likely constructed of thicker glass, so the brace is not needed.

Just keep an eye on the nylon bolts to make sure that the water pressure does not shear off the bolts over time. I think the combination of glue and the bolts should be enough, but that's just my opinion.

Hmm, I have an All-glass 40gallon breeder, which is 36x18x16...no center brace. I'm not at home so I can't tell you the glass thickness.

Back
Top Bottom