Dogfish puffer infection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexRoerden

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
image-2021-03-01-19:13:41-816.jpg
My dogfish puffer has this white spot on his back that looks like white mold. He occasionally spazzes out of control. What is this and what should I do?

He swims fine and eats a ton. Usuall behavior besides not being as active as originally

Gotta tell us everything about the tank and as much detail as possible.

I've not seen anything like that to my knowledge. I'd put it into a hospital tank and treat with an anti fungal and a copper based medication to see what happens. The fact that he is eating is good.

I've not seen anything like that to my knowledge. I'd put it into a hospital tank and treat with an anti fungal and a copper based medication to see what happens. The fact that he is eating is good.

He’s had it for a while and seems fine, it came out of nowhere, I’m not certain if it’s gotten bigger or not, I believe it could also be a cut or something from a recent transport that I drive with my live rock and the puffer in the same container. But It looks like mold so I’ll treat him with medication, do I need a separate tank for that or can I add the medication into the 37 gallon tank.

How new is the tank? Is it cycled? The trigger and puffer are gonna get way to big for that tank and is that an eel I see? That’s a huge bio load for a brand new tank. What’s your ammonia and nitrate level?

How new is the tank? Is it cycled? The trigger and puffer are gonna get way to big for that tank and is that an eel I see? That’s a huge bio load for a brand new tank. What’s your ammonia and nitrate level?

+1. The tank looks brand new, the bubbles stress the fish, and it has a Odonus niger recommended for a much larger suit than you apparently have.

Tank is about a month and a half old. Amonia is at 0 and I make water changes whenever nitrate is at 5 or 10, I had algee in my tank but it died. Is there any other ways to keep nitrates low without water changes? It’s a snowflake eel yes. I wanted a zebra eel so I can do corals and stuff but that gets expensive.

+1. The tank looks brand new, the bubbles stress the fish, and it has a Odonus niger recommended for a much larger suit than you apparently have.

Tank is new, do the bubbles really stress the fish out? I did not know that. So I should take it out of my tank?.

The ideal would be to remove bubbles and fish that do not come well in the tank for reasons of space, of course there is a way to keep nitrates at bay and that is with a skimmer, but you must put it in the sump or buy a skimmer backpack if your tank is not very large.

Nitrates aren’t the worst thing in a tank but your tank is new and will be going through various algae stages as it matures. You can treat the tank but it’s probably gonna kill a lot of bacteria and you may run into ammonia issues which will make the issue worse. You may need to move the fish to a hospital tank and treat there. It’s hard to say exactly what it is from the pic though

One of the take aways here is that the bubblers should be removed. Unnecessary freshwater equipment in saltwater, creates salt creep. Really wasting energy as the powerheads are doing the same thing, just better.

One of the take aways here is that the bubblers should be removed. Unnecessary freshwater equipment in saltwater, creates salt creep. Really wasting energy as the powerheads are doing the same thing, just better.

I shut the bubbles off. Thanks a lot for your help. Now I just have a lot of little micro peices of poop or food in the water. Seems like I need a filter feeder or something to clear up the water.

Back
Top Bottom