Doug's 105 rimless build and diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You loose two viewing angles by doing that, but it does look cleaner and leaves more floor space in the viewing room.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well, technically, I picked up another pane to view through by putting it in the wall! That is of course, if I don't black out the rear pane, and keep all 4 sides clean. The odds of that are slim though. I usually let the 3 sides get covered.

Well, technically, I picked up another pane to view through by putting it in the wall! That is of course, if I don't black out the rear pane, and keep all 4 sides clean. The odds of that are slim though. I usually let the 3 sides get covered.

Loosing those sides is worth it having a room dedicated to it and making the display more enjoyable. Personally I would paint the back glass.

I'm not going to paint it, but I may cover it with dark tint. Something that I can pull away if necessary.

I was thinking about it and if I were to do it I would have it protrude halfway out of the wall, but it would have to be custom acrylic with all rounded edges on that side and that =$$$$.

back in '82-'84 I maintained a custom tank built into a wall. It was about a 40"x 40"x12" square of black acrylic with a 36" bubble on one face. The bubble was all that showed through the wall. Unfortunately there was only about a closet's worth of space to work with behind the tank, so it wasn't much fun to work on it.
add to that the wall paper was leather that cost $50K in 1980 dollars :eek:
We panicked every time we thought we were going to spill a drop.
Penthouse magazine used that condo a few times for photoshoots. Unfortunately I never got to clean the tank on those days. :(

sorry, I'm rambling on again... I'll stop now :taped:

I'm not going to paint it, but I may cover it with dark tint. Something that I can pull away if necessary.

I was thinking about this awhile back and I think the solution could be a rod with a simple black sheet or cloth on it. That way you can pull it back when doing maintenance and see the back of the tank, something I know you've mentioned being a pain in the past.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426118880.199991.jpg

You could fasten black egg crate to the back of the tank and start some wall colonies like this one.

I have always thought the space on walls not being used for viewing was wasted. Acros like this love tabling out from a vertical surface. Zoas, caps and Acans do well also.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You could fasten black egg crate to the back of the tank and start some wall colonies like this one.

I have always thought the space on walls not being used for viewing was wasted. Acros like this love tabling out from a vertical surface. Zoas, caps and Acans do well also.

This might be one of the best ideas I've ever seen

I show this tread to my fiancé every few updates, as we're looking for a house with the requirements of putting a 200 - 300G. system. Wanting a build similar to your in wall / room.

Just awesome!

This might be one of the best ideas I've ever seen

I agree ,..where was this idea when I was first setting up my tank ? It sure would add a ton of critter / coral condos to a other wise not too utilized area

Many hard corals don't grow from a horizontal base, they tend to grow on mounds. They aren't picky about the angle. So if there's light and flow present, why not attach a coral there on a wall if it doesn't block your view?

Many hard corals don't grow from a horizontal base, they tend to grow on mounds. They aren't picky about the angle. So if there's light and flow present, why not attach a coral there on a wall if it doesn't block your view?

I'm starting to get some ideas :)

Just one hint, I use superglue gel to anchor the frag plug into the horizontal egg rate. Have to get the placement right the first time, but within a short time the coral will overgrow the plug and hook up with the egg crate. Once it has this secure footing, somehow, I can't even guess, it knows it's safe to grow outwards. Remarkable.

I have no problem attaching corals to the rear pane. As a matter of fact, I used to have some pretty nice pocillopora colonies growing on the glass in one of my old DT's. I didn't put them there though- it was a spawning incident.
img_3182883_0_319c72ea4731acda9c6f66bdd6abfdad.jpg

img_3182883_1_ca5fe627ca57b34f4b1920a1698a0cc7.jpg

img_3182883_2_9b9c3f5e1b4d394b5b4236d9a0105837.jpg
img_3182883_3_99ffb9a1ca124718d7ad94a618fbdb8a.jpg

img_3182883_4_abab6f409d653f78844eb2bc670b1357.jpg

Just one hint, I use superglue gel to anchor the frag plug into the horizontal egg rate. Have to get the placement right the first time, but within a short time the coral will overgrow the plug and hook up with the egg crate. Once it has this secure footing, somehow, I can't even guess, it knows it's safe to grow outwards. Remarkable.

Thanks for the idea ,..black egg crate ordered,...we now respectively return this thread back to Doug,...sorry for the minor hijack :-/

I was thinking about it and if I were to do it I would have it protrude halfway out of the wall, but it would have to be custom acrylic with all rounded edges on that side and that =$$$$.

back in '82-'84 I maintained a custom tank built into a wall. It was about a 40"x 40"x12" square of black acrylic with a 36" bubble on one face. The bubble was all that showed through the wall. Unfortunately there was only about a closet's worth of space to work with behind the tank, so it wasn't much fun to work on it.
add to that the wall paper was leather that cost $50K in 1980 dollars :eek:
We panicked every time we thought we were going to spill a drop.
Penthouse magazine used that condo a few times for photoshoots. Unfortunately I never got to clean the tank on those days. :(

sorry, I'm rambling on again... I'll stop now :taped:

I actually thought about hanging it out of the wall, but then I'd have to build out the wall under it and i didn't feel like getting into that. I saw something recently on FB that peaked my interest, but i don't have the money or motivation for it at the moment-
10580844_916462991711221_4531766194617813961_o.jpg

11033356_359511777569840_1158118604_o.jpg

Leather wallpaper? I'm glad that fad came and went! :D

I have a decorator friend that does walls in brown paper bags. It looks identical to leather.

The peninsula tanks are wonderful but they take up a lot of room.

I saw that "floating tank" too. Pretty cool, but I'd always worry how it would hold up with a decent sized earthquake.

I actually thought about hanging it out of the wall, but then I'd have to build out the wall under it and i didn't feel like getting into that. I saw something recently on FB that peaked my interest, but i don't have the money or motivation for it at the moment-
10580844_916462991711221_4531766194617813961_o.jpg

11033356_359511777569840_1158118604_o.jpg

Leather wallpaper? I'm glad that fad came and went! :D

With a little know-how. And a lot of money. Color me blown away.

Back
Top Bottom