Doug's 105 rimless build and diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a FYI, I haven't checked the PAR numbers with my 120 watt LED units in this deeper tank, but I am not liking the spread from the new fixture I bought. It's a 165 watt multicolored fixture.
165W Dimmable Full Spectrum LED Aquarium Light Marine Reef Coral Fish Tank Lamp | eBay

It's supposed to have a mixture of 90 and 120 degree optics, but it's very narrow. In order to light my tank with these, I'll need 6 units. I have one of my old 120 watt Tao units over the tank right now and I feel I will only need 3 of these to evenly light the tank, providing I have enough PAR in the depths I need to. I'm transferring the 105 to the 300 today, and will be hanging the 2 remaining fixtures over the 300. I'll take a few pics after the water clears a bit.

When you say narrow are you referring to the spread of individual lights or the unit as a whole? I would assume 120 degree is better?

I suppose individual or whole is the same thing either way. Sorry for the brain fart.

The unit as a whole. The original fixtures can light about 70% of my frag tanks (approximately 48 x 29 x 10) and can keep sps colored up. The new fixture hung at the same height lights about 30% of it. The new unit is much brighter, but then again, it's also sold as a 165 watt fixture, and not a 120, so I don't know if it's more the optics, or the extra wattage that makes it so much brighter.

It would be the extra wattage.
But the resultant pattern and brightness at any one point is a function of the lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think that is extremely reasonable for that size tank! What are you including Doug?

Just the tank and stand. Of course the overflow box and locline return/bulkheads too. I should write that.....

Yeah because we know people will be hounding and complaining lol. But I think that is a very good price for a reef ready tank and stand! Should sell rather quick

That is a great price... Hmmm your not too far from me, your in pa right?

Thanks! A few randoms...still gotta finish setting up the ATO and filter sock holders, but you'll get an idea what's going on so far.....
I guess I should make a new thread...
img_3184906_0_3516b1235f4d6547401edd7df8eb3fb5.jpg

sumps....
img_3184906_1_efc05cd1b4603659f66bec412ea955c8.jpg

yellow tang cruising.....
img_3184906_2_9f829220511f6ec845cac8ce453d5631.jpg

Anemone seems to be ok with the new zip code....
img_3184906_3_a4a3b210f8e8bd56725f018d0d44f242.jpg

My casualty.....
img_3184906_4_3e82358ccc0d93d436be2ec96d06b174.jpg

bubble coral and left side....
img_3184906_5_89575a52708d25cb1bbe05a10dca133c.jpg

one thing I should note- this tank is 6' x 3' x 27ish tall, and I only have a single Jebao RW15 for flow, and I believe it to be enough for the entire tank. They must not know really how many gph these things are, because this pump is super strong.
I do have the Quiet One 6000 as a return pump, but I don't think that's doing the bulk of the work. Pretty amazing, if it holds up.
Another thing to note- I currently got a Jebao DC pump for a friend who is using it as a return,. and he absolutely loves it. What power out of a tiny pump, he says. he loves the feed mode as well.

Looking good! I love the way your sump table is. Looks like it would make things very simple. (my sump is in a stand...) I'm gonna check out those Jebao pumps as I was thinking on getting another return pump in the future. Not sure my mag drive is pushing as much as id like. Post a link to the new thread on here when you get it up. :)

Every time I look at your behind the scenes " fish room" work area I get really jealous ,... Must be really nice not to have everything crammed underneath your main display tank etc,.... Looks like you got you "stuff" together again Doug , nice job as usual

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well, it's still a bit of a mess, but It's getting there. I have to rig up an exhaust fan too.....The ceiling is pretty wet in there. Some serious humidity going on!

Looks awesome! I know this has been discussed but I have an odd feeling that maybe something like beadboard painted white to go over the piece directly above the tank might look pretty solid without making it look tacky... Just food for thought.

Cover the part directly above the tank that's painted the color of the wall...

Back
Top Bottom