Doug's 105 rimless build and diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That Naso looks awesome!! What powerheads are you using for flow in there? That hawkfish is really gorgeous too!
Thanks guys. I'm currently using a Jebao RW15 and a RW8, plus my 1600+ gph return before head loss. I need more, but not much. I think I'm going to add another RW8, but that's about it.

Wow, nice additions X! That tang is a beaut! Hope everything works out for for you.

So, everything still lives. I think the coast is clear for eye flukes. I have been thinking about this since I got this tang....
American Farmland® Round Plastic Tank 8 ft. x 2 ft. - Tractor Supply Co.
I can fit this in the fish room and still walk around it comfortably. I'm considering adding this to my system and using it just for large fish. In other words, when something gets too big for the 300, he/she goes in the lagoon.
How to pull this off though. Humidity is a concern with that kind of surface area....and how to plumb it to the system.....remember, my sump/return tank is on the floor as well....it will be at the same height.

I wonder how hard/expensive it would be to make a lid for it out of acrylic.
that would help mitigate evaporation and keep critters on the inside.
Or I'm sure you could at least make one out of that clear screen material.

If you raise it on a platform so it is a few inches higher than the sump it could be easy.
Have a line off the main return pump or a dedicated one pump water into the plastic tank and then just make an overflow out of large diameter pvc pipe or something to return water back to the main sump and done.

As long as the tank/sump can hold enough water in the event of a power outage it should work.

or if they are both at the same level you could plumb it to the sump at the bottom of the tank and sump and then just let gravity allow the water to seek it's own level and then a pump in the tank to return water to the sump

I think if you want it to go from the sump to the floor tank to the display, then that may be the only feasible way to do it without risking flooding.

I think look at it as an extension of the sump rather than a separate tank.

So, I'm looking at this 10" naso...and am wondering if I should go ahead and buy that 8' round stock tank at the local tractor supply -
I can fit it in the fish room and after some alterations, this tang (and quite a few others) should be quite happy in it. Honestly, he still looks cramped, even though he came out of a 120.
The stock tank in mention has been sitting there since the winter and they offered me 10% off over the phone....but....how to plumb it? Put it on some cinder blocks and drop another pump in the return area for it? This will require me to make a standpipe for it just like I did my 50 gallon shallow tanks-
img_3238594_0_efae4232f731163e35c9fb6d77e665e1.jpg

Sounds like its gonna be pretty awesome! Not sure on the plumbing, but PB's idea sounded good. Not sure how it would work out though. A 10" tang needs ALOT of room I would imagine! I'm sure he would enjoy that 8' span. Looking forward to what you do here. I wonder how difficult it would be to put a viewing window on the side of it?

So, I'm looking at this 10" naso...and am wondering if I should go ahead and buy that 8' round stock tank at the local tractor supply -
I can fit it in the fish room and after some alterations, this tang (and quite a few others) should be quite happy in it. Honestly, he still looks cramped, even though he came out of a 120.
The stock tank in mention has been sitting there since the winter and they offered me 10% off over the phone....but....how to plumb it? Put it on some cinder blocks and drop another pump in the return area for it? This will require me to make a standpipe for it just like I did my 50 gallon shallow tanks-
img_3238613_0_efae4232f731163e35c9fb6d77e665e1.jpg

Doug ,.. Four or five years ago you were talking to me via pm's about this same setup and even back then you were a little hesitant ,...you've obviously have thought about it for years so what the heck ,...you're not getting any younger , it's time to go for it my boy .

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You can set the round tank to be as high as your sump, then plumb the overflow into the sump. A small pump adds water to the round pond and gravity causes it to seek its own level with the sump.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So, It's been a little while since the catastrophic incident, and my friend was breaking down his tank and wanted to rehome his fish. I explained to him the risks, and he still felt they had at least as good a chance with me as a craigslist ad. His stipulation was to take all the livestock and rock at one time. He just got his residency and was looking forward to 80+ hour weeks for the next hundred years so, he felt he didn't have the time for the tank.
The fish and 150 pounds of rock were no charge, but I did bring him a case of St. Bernardus ABT 12, that ran me $120.00....
So, what I got besides the 150 pounds of rock-

a 10" Naso tang (counting streamers)
a 4" blue throat trigger
a large long nose hawk
a large pair of percula clowns
a large 3 stripe damsel
a medium 6 line wrasse
a 4" yellow tang
a 3" coral beauty angel
a matted filefish (who likes to eat coral)
and 3 of the biggest blue/green chromis I have ever seen.

My friend Chris and I took the ride Saturday afternoon and picked everything up. The rock fit in 7 six gallon buckets and a medium cooler, and the fish fit in another medium cooler.
I gave Chris the yellow tang, since I already have one and also the coral beauty, since I have the flame angel. I also gave him about 25 pounds of rock.

The fish and rock went into my system, all at once, with no QT. I told my friend that this is the way I would do it, and I would not be able to catch them if something bad was to happen, and he agreed.
So, say a prayer to King Neptune that these guys all do well in my tank, and the filefish stops eating my corals!
img_3240135_0_08908f13067eabdc33d7cf0dd70226e1.jpg

img_3240135_1_12753120199d9a8d5a5e6a81c8c26c22.jpg

img_3240135_2_cd15d12cf40073281dde538440c56596.jpg

img_3240135_3_85635b071b35b006f0187a8b3a1ab142.jpg

img_3240135_4_16974260c53f45d005184a0e598b341d.jpg

Hey Doug,

I love the new additions! That Naso is incredibly impressive, wow! I am also happy to hear that your tank is over the disease it had and you are finally being given a break. :dance:

only??

Had two abrupt power failures last night that took out a Iwaki pump in the fish room. Electrified water everywhere at 1am. Thank heavens I'm a pack rat, scavenged up everything I needed and by 3am all was well. There are days...

Crazy that that pump failed so the SW flowed thru the armature of the motor. Bad, bad design but I have had great luck with them in the past. MD30.

only??

Had two abrupt power failures last night that took out a Iwaki pump in the fish room. Electrified water everywhere at 1am. Thank heavens I'm a pack rat, scavenged up everything I needed and by 3am all was well. There are days...

Crazy that that pump failed so the SW flowed thru the armature of the motor. Bad, bad design but I have had great luck with them in the past. MD30.

Yikes! That's scary, always seems to happen about that hour too huh. Glad all is well and ask you lost was the pump.

Back
Top Bottom