dp's 300 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two months down the road from the initial fill we added a pair of tank raised clowns. (And a few snails)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423698771.397533.jpg

Been rocking the led shop lights as I research and save for my lighting setup.

Someone at a lfs said we could probably do a starfish at this point. (lesson learned - no, we aren't ready for starfish and be careful of your lfs opinions)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423698858.938476.jpg

Had a diatom bloom or two around this time which I guess is normal.

How are those damsels getting along? Some of them can be pretty nasty. I wonder how they will treat any less aggressive newcomers, like tangs.
Also, what do you use to clean your glass? I have been using a mag float, and a hand scraper once a week or so...

Great build. There is a guy in Walnut selling live rock for $1lb from a 3000g tank break down. I just bought 77lbs. Might be worth a road trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The damsels have been little bastards especially the Sargeant's! They have grown incredibly fast! None of them mess with the clowns though. They chased the blue tang when introduced but prob because he was 1/2" long and likes to sleep in the rocks near them.

I've been using the mag float as well every few days. I also use some scrub pads to work on the coraline which has been insane. The tank is acrylic so it scratches very easy with the smallest grain of sand in the magfloat. I've learned to shut down all pumps and take my time while cleaning. I've also since purchased some very fine sand paper and have learned how to fix some of those scratches. ?

Wow the rock sounds Iike a good deal. I did end up adding another 150# or so. At this point I'm not sure I should add anymore. Might need some room for corals and a little swimming room for the tangs.

Thanks Todd.

So at this point I've decided to go with three radion G3 pros for my lighting.

Built a diy rack for them out of aluminum tracks used for track lights. (Found them at the depot for a pretty good price) then bought one of the hanging kits.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423725764.833563.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423725819.457200.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423725851.160191.jpg

Great job on the DIY hanging of the lights. I could never get them to hang straight on those things. Just be careful of their intensity. It is so easy to burn corals with them.

I've been using the mag float as well every few days. I also use some scrub pads to work on the coraline which has been insane. The tank is acrylic so it scratches very easy with the smallest grain of sand in the magfloat. I've learned to shut down all pumps and take my time while cleaning. I've also since purchased some very fine sand paper and have learned how to fix some of those scratches. ?

If it helps any, I've been to a few gatherings here and there with local clubs/stores and have always picked up a couple of the little "dealer promo" scrapers. They work great till they get lost or the dog finds a new chew toy because it was placed in reach. It came to a point I couldn't find one when I really wanted to use it so a trip to Home Depot for ideas and wound up with a couple of these. They're rigid but pliable at the same time and work great and with no scratching noticed. Now there's always an extra in the tool box "just in case".

http://m.homedepot.com/p/DAP-PRO-Caulk-Caulking-Tool-Kit-4-Piece-09125/100666143

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Yeah I still can't figure out the sweet spot on those things. Just recently started using jons graph as you recommended at 55% max. Looking good now but I've gone through a few heart aches.

My first couple of corals and a few tangs added about 3-4 months after starting up...(and again, lfs said no prob on the flower pot)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423760194.611106.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423760216.961471.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423760231.612707.jpg

If it helps any, I've been to a few gatherings here and there with local clubs/stores and have always picked up a couple of the little "dealer promo" scrapers. They work great till they get lost or the dog finds a new chew toy because it was placed in reach. It came to a point I couldn't find one when I really wanted to use it so a trip to Home Depot for ideas and wound up with a couple of these. They're rigid but pliable at the same time and work great and with no scratching noticed. Now there's always an extra in the tool box "just in case".

http://m.homedepot.com/p/DAP-PRO-Caulk-Caulking-Tool-Kit-4-Piece-09125/100666143

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Thanks for the tip on this. Will give it a go. My major frustration is the coraline at the bottom of the tank at the sand level.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423760675.353148.jpg
(This was right after a good attempt to clean it all)

Just read all this and looks amazing! Exciting to see how this is going to turn and grow out! Definitely inspiration on a future bigger tank. What do you do for flow?

Just read all this and looks amazing! Exciting to see how this is going to turn and grow out! Definitely inspiration on a future bigger tank. What do you do for flow?

Thank you.

I started with a waveline dc 12000 which does ~3100 gph for my primary, off-the-sump pump. My closed loop system has a blueline 70 hd which does ~1700 gph. I then added another waveline dc 6000 to feed my chiller (late in the summer after major temperature fluctuations and a few lost critters) which does ~1500 gph.
(Obviously some head pressure reduces those #s)

I've gone through two controller units for the waveline dc pumps in less than a year. (They get too hot) The manufacturer was great about replacing though with updated models which are holding up good thus far!

Inside I really wanted to go with mp60's BUT, there wasn't enough room between the overflow box and the side. So I ended up with two mp40's. Will probably do more in future or try a gyre.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423771306.853702.jpg

My goal is/was to have enough flow to house some sps and my favorite fish...The Achilles Tang. :)

What do you have the MP40's set at? I have two on my 55 toned way back. It is hard to see them being enough flow for a 300 wanting SPS.

I run 100% random settings throughout the day. Unfortunately not enough room for anything bigger which was a design flaw for sure. Having three viewable sides of the tank make it hard to find a place for a bunch of equipment.

Understandable. I'm sure that they are pumping as much as they can. Do you have a reeflink along with the setup? I wasn't aware of any other options to modify flow like you are without it...unless that came along after I added the reeflink to my setup that is.

I'm not sure what I'm more stunned about, this tank or that stand and sump shed.
My expectations for our first DIY one just went up.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424240464.270564.jpg
Had to add a small cleanup crew of course.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424240529.424938.jpg
And a new home for nemo's.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424240582.096298.jpg
Ah the starfish....lfs dude said he'd be fine in our tank at 5 months old. Not so much! Died in less than a few weeks. No food!

And that shrimp...ugh if I could catch him, I'd eat him. He is master of 1/3 of the tank. Picks on anyone that comes close. Two more mistakes in our livestock choices!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424240847.252530.jpg
This tube anemone rocks though. Doing very well in the tank and looks amazing under the radions!

Yeah, those coral banded shrimp can be nasty.
As for the starfish, there are so many things that can be deadly for them. Being exposed to air is a big one. The other issue in your way with that guy is that it looks like a linckia, which is a beautiful but very difficult starfish to keep. The biggest problem is that we don't really know what it is that they do eat! Some people can keep them, but most can't.
And I've been wondering when you were going to talk about your tube anemone. I personally have wanted to put one into the tank ever since I first saw them. I haven't for the reason that they aren't photosynthetic and I am fearful that work would get in the way of me caring for it properly. Maybe someday though.
What kind of anemone did your clowns start hosting, a sebae?

Back
Top Bottom