Dubber's 2G Fluval SPEC PICO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iadubber

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I was getting terribly bored with my 40 breeder almost to the point of getting out of the aquarist hobby altogether. But I decided to go with a PICO for my office desk to try and get me back into the groove.

FTS: 06/11/2012

IMG_6170 by iadubber, on Flickr

Equipment:

• 2G FLUVAL SPEC
  • Hydor 400 Mini Pico Pump
  • Hydor Theo 25w
  • Mini Mag Float
  • Vernier Logger Lite Temp Probe (Hydro Theo is about 8 degrees off on the dial)
  • Ebay PAR38 Dimmable Light (shipped)

Stock:

• 1.5# Live Rock
  • 1.5# Argonite Sand
  • 2 Snails
  • 1 Red Mushroom
  • 1 Orange Yuma

I plan to run some zoas, mushrooms, rics and maybe a small torch/hammer in it. Maybe some sexy shrimps.

IMAG0142 by iadubber, on Flickr

Here's the updated pics:

IMG_6170 by iadubber, on Flickr

IMG_6168 by iadubber, on Flickr

IMG_6167 by iadubber, on Flickr

IMG_6166 by iadubber, on Flickr

IMG_6165 by iadubber, on Flickr

IMG_6164 by iadubber, on Flickr

I can't wait for the PAR38 LED light to get here. That ric really POPS under blue lights.

Hey Dubber,
I think you may have gotten a Yuma mushroom instead of a Ricordia. Good score, as Yumas are generally more expensive, and IMO even cooler looking. They usually are more varied in color scheme, and overall, more irregular in shape and the little bubbles aren't as perfectly the same, as on a Ricordia.
Cool little tank, hope it gives you some spunk for the hobby again.
Best of luck with it! :)

Flreefer said:
Hey Dubber,
I think you may have gotten a Yuma mushroom instead of a Ricordia. Good score, as Yumas are generally more expensive, and IMO even cooler looking. They usually are more varied in color scheme, and overall, more irregular in shape and the little bubbles aren't as perfectly the same, as on a Ricordia.
Cool little tank, hope it gives you some spunk for the hobby again.
Best of luck with it! :)

Yeah I thought I might have after searching orange rics last night. Bad news is it wasn't attached when I got it. I thought this tank would be low flow enough for it to sit on a rock but it blows off. So I'm going to have to put it in my 40b in a cup until it attaches. Also my office temp is controlled remotely and turns the ac up at night. So the tank got to 83.9 in my logging software overnight. :(

Won't help you out any.
Sorry for the Mis-post, hit the send on my phone!
Any way to keep it set at a good temp?

No way to control my office temp. It's johnson controls and they are all set by the maintenance department.

I think you'll probably have to move it to a more stable location. I doubt that would work out.
That's a bummer...:-(.

I fabbed up a computer fan to turn on when the A/C is turned up at night. Lastnight the temp only rose to 81 from 79. So that's a bit better than a 6 degree swing.

Well today I added a zoa colony and a favia frag today. Also added another piece of live rock. Forgot my DSLR at home so these point and shoots will have to do for now. My PAR38 will be delivered tonight and installed tomorrow.

IMG_0926 by iadubber, on Flickr

Hoping it opens up a bit soon:

IMG_0925 by iadubber, on Flickr

Trying to save the bleached Zoas from my 40b:

IMG_0924 by iadubber, on Flickr

IMG_0923 by iadubber, on Flickr

Rubber banded the Yuma down. I'll probably end up moving it lower in the tank.

IMG_0922 by iadubber, on Flickr

IMG_0921 by iadubber, on Flickr

IMG_0920 by iadubber, on Flickr

That sounds a lot better. Good thinking with the fan! Didnt think that would work, with the ambient temp being to high, but makes sense. Hope it works out for you. :)

Added my ebay par38 dimmable light and now the corals pop. Added three small frags of candy cane I had out of my 40b. They are starting to open up now. I came in to work today and my yuma was sliming pretty good. I moved it to the bottom and it seems to be doing a little better. Hoping it pulls through.

021 by iadubber, on Flickr

019 by iadubber, on Flickr

018 by iadubber, on Flickr

Zoas really colored back up today under the new light:

016 by iadubber, on Flickr

FTS:

015 by iadubber, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom