Evans 40 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Limestone is good for a reef tank. If it's made from that it's perfect for it.

That's a relief to here. Now people say it has no filtration benefits.. So how am I going to provide enough bb for filtration if I use 80% Texas holey?

The reason they say it has no filtration benefits is because it's so dense. It has plenty of surface area though, which will hold bacteria. The question is, can it support any anaerobic bacteria? It's just a rock made from mostly calcium, which is the same main ingredient found in live rock that comes from the ocean. Try to find some larger, but very light pieces. The lighter the better. This would indicate some porousness.

The reason they say it has no filtration benefits is because it's so dense. It has plenty of surface area though, which will hold bacteria. The question is, can it support any anaerobic bacteria? It's just a rock made from mostly calcium, which is the same main ingredient found in live rock that comes from the ocean. Try to find some larger, but very light pieces. The lighter the better. This would indicate some porousness.

Sounds good! Thanks man I really appreciate the info! This is the only dry rock around me that I like, and it's pretty cheap so it works out well! Im gonna look for some pieces soon!

So when it comes to live rock in my sump... Does it matter if there's hair algae, pests, bubble algae etc.... Or will that stuff eventually make its way into the DT?

I would stay far away from bubble algae from all my research I've done it's very hard to get rid of

I would stay far away from bubble algae from all my research I've done it's very hard to get rid of

+1 on this. It spreads like crazy too! I ended up with it in my tank and was very fortunate to have bought the hungriest emerald crabs in the USA and they took care of it. Lol

Haha I hate it! Some how it got Into my tank and I can't get rid of it

Have you tried emerald crabs? It really is crazy how fast they clear it out. Within a week there was none left in my 55 and it was COVERED in it. It somehow got into my tank and my lights were on for several days while I was out of town. I couldn't believe how fast it was gone.

smartest thing to do is don't try to remove it in the tank
if I find some I pull the rock than remove it and do a rinse before adding rock back in

Well I have some on some of my coral. But I'm gonna have a new tank up soon so I'm not to worried about it now. But I don't want it in my new tank. Will pests and stuff in sump make its way to the display tank?

Well I have some on some of my coral. But I'm gonna have a new tank up soon so I'm not to worried about it now. But I don't want it in my new tank. Will pests and stuff in sump make its way to the display tank?

Yes, it is more than likely some things will.

Looks great so far man. I can't wait to see you start transferring some stuff into the new tank. Emerald crabs as previously stated will clear out the bubble algae. Did you get any more dry/live rock?

Looks great so far man. I can't wait to see you start transferring some stuff into the new tank. Emerald crabs as previously stated will clear out the bubble algae. Did you get any more dry/live rock?

Thanks man! and trust me... I cant wait to transfer stuff too haha.

I had my first day at seaworld today.. and I need to wait till my first paycheck to start getting sand rock etc. So it may be a while till I update things. But I always say this and end up getting stuff anyways.. so wel see haha!

Thanks man! and trust me... I cant wait to transfer stuff too haha.

I had my first day at seaworld today.. and I need to wait till my first paycheck to start getting sand rock etc. So it may be a while till I update things. But I always say this and end up getting stuff anyways.. so wel see haha!

Hey! You sound like me! Lol. Hope you're already loving Seaworld! I was also glad to see your corals are looking better. :)

Got the tank filled today And ordered 40lbs of live sand. I forgot how expensive this stuff is haha

Hey guys. So a little update, got some sand and some more rock. Im going to be adding a few more small pieces of rock, but this is pretty much how its gonna look. Im gonna be getting some live rock soon to start my cycle and all, but this is all I have for now.

Back
Top Bottom