Evans Mantis Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evansimp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone! So recently my friends have been really interested in mantis shrimp after seeing some footage of them on some of the Animal Planet/ Discovery Channel shows. It makes me feel good that they are so interested in aquariums and sea life, so I decided to get a mantis shrimp tank!

Its a really basic tank with nothing to special in it except for the mantis. I got the shrimp a few days ago and he seems to be doing well. I have some different crabs in there for him to eat but he hasn't shown much interest. Today he finally got one after I put it right in front of him to eat haha! It was really cool to watch! I will try to get some footage of that later on!

So here are some pics for you guys!

Tank (very basic)

Mantis (aka Bigg Rigg)

Hi there
I've read in the past they are strong enough to break your tanks glass I don't know how big they have to be or whether that's true or not but they are certainly interesting characters

Will they mess with corals? Probably a silly question, but i dont know.

Hi there I've read in the past they are strong enough to break your tanks glass I don't know how big they have to be or whether that's true or not but they are certainly interesting characters

I have read that too, however I have never seen a picture or video of this happening. Makes me wonder if it happened one time and then word got around and it's given mantis shrimp this bad reputation of breaking aquarium glass. However, if one did break glass, it would have to be huge! My 4 inch can barely kill a small crab (dime size) and it took him 3 hits to do so! So mine is definitely not strong enough..... Yet haha

Hey everyone! So recently my friends have been really interested in mantis shrimp after seeing some footage of them on some of the Animal Planet/ Discovery Channel shows. It makes me feel good that they are so interested in aquariums and sea life, so I decided to get a mantis shrimp tank! Its a really basic tank with nothing to special in it except for the mantis. I got the shrimp a few days ago and he seems to be doing well. I have some different crabs in there for him to eat but he hasn't shown much interest. Today he finally got one after I put it right in front of him to eat haha! It was really cool to watch! I will try to get some footage of that later on! So here are some pics for you guys! Tank (very basic) http://s1256.photobucket.com/user/evansimp/media/6O1A1328_zps5e3b20ae.jpg.html Mantis (aka Bigg Rigg) http://s1256.photobucket.com/user/evansimp/media/Mantis_zps0788a3d9.jpg.html

What size is that tank?

Back
Top Bottom