Finally! Pics of my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chase33

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After 5 months of research, buying equipment and setup, I am finally in the cycle stage. The tank is a 120g AGA with dual overflows. 100 pounds of base rock and another 65 pounds of LR. I expect to get about another 30 pounds of LR for the tank later this week and some more rubble for the fuge. 210 pounds of sand and another 40 pounds of LS. A Tunze nano stream 6045 is placed on the right side of the tank. I have a Koralia 4 on back order. I ordered it two weeks ago originally expected it to be shipped on the 16th. Well I'm still waiting. I expect to receive it sometime next week.

I use a Mag 18 as the return pump from the sump. It is totally quiet. Can't here it all. I diverted some of the return flow to the fuge controlled by a ball valve. I also ran another line back to the return area. I wasn't sure if the 18 would be too powerful and wanted to plan ahead. Fortunately the ball valve there remains closed as I haven't had to use it. It does allow me to expand in the future if I want to use it for something else.

Early this evening I noticed one problem that I will look into later today. I noticed a slight humming sound coming from the sump area. I turned off the Mag 7 that is pumping to the skimmer leaving only the Mag 18 running. The 18 is totally quite and I couldn't hear it at all. I turned the 18 off and turned the 7 back on and found the culprit. It is the Mag 7. I moved it around, held it above the sump floor so that it wasn't touching any glass. The humming still exists. I'll inspect and address it sometime tomorrow.

Anyway, we'll see how the cycle goes. I'll begin testing tomorrow as well as attempt to get better pics. The aquascape looks better than displayed in the pics.

Oh yeah, Pay no attention to the wires under the tank. It will be cleaned up (installed) tomorrow.

Attachments

• front2_212.jpg
    front2_212.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 119
  • front_142.jpg
    front_142.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 152
  • left_side_147.jpg
    left_side_147.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 91
  • right_side_142.jpg
    right_side_142.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 113
  • sump_130.jpg
    sump_130.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 150
Nicely done!! That is a lot of rock or so it looks anyway. I've been back and forth on a 120 or a 90 (4' tank) My wife tells me a 90 will be ok and the 120 is just too big...I think I will get a 120 and tell her it's a 90....hehe..

Beautiful setup!!

I love my nano stream! Mine is a 6025 and I have another one on the way. Been back ordered for about 3 weeks now. I've also tried a couple of times to order a Koralia with no success! I would stil like to get one to try them out but I have to say that the Tunze is one awesome pump!

Thanks. Funny about the 90 and the wife. Go with the 120. That extra 6" of depth is worth a lot. I too love the Tunze. It is small, the flow is amazing, and off the top of my head I believe it's rated at 7w. The flow from it reaches the surface and sand bed. Combined with the Koralia I expect to save a lot on energy costs compared to using the Mag 24 in a closed loop.
It is a lot of rock but there are may tunnels, caves and hiding places for the future inhabitants. There's also enough room to swim.

I appreciate all the help and information I received from those here at AA especially Ziggy, Roka64, and melosu58. You all have taught me a lot.

Well you did an awesome job setting the tank up it looks great! I look forward to watching it grow!

The power consumption of the Tunzes are what got me most interested in them...when I'm done all of my tanks will have nothing but them or the koralia in them. I figured with those I could run 2x the flow on 1/4 the power. Awesome little pumps.

The only thing that is making me bounce between the 90 and the 120 is the height of the tank. I really don't want to go up to 250w MH to get enough light to the bottom but I may do that anyway. I don't know...I'm still looking for a tank so who knows...I'm keeping my 72 regardless of what other tank I add. I'm selling my 55s and taking down the 10s I have set up now. This new tank is going to be an inwall setup so I don't have to build another stand...

Anyway...The tank looks great and I'm glad I was able to help you along the way with it!!

It looks fantastic!

Very nice layout, with a bit of space in front and gobs of rock. Getting that height must have been tricky, but so worth it. Congratulations on a splendid tank!

Thanks all. Ammonia down to 1.0 and nitrites at 2.0. Won't be long now.

Nice looking arrangement underneath the tank...............and it looks like an electrical fire waiting to happen.

Don424 said:
Nice looking arrangement underneath the tank...............and it looks like an electrical fire waiting to happen.
I don't know about that, there doesn't seem to be any outlets that will get water in them.

As mentioned in the first post, the wiring was not completed at the time of the picture but has been since. All wires have been completely sealed and the outlets are high above the water surface (Water cannot travel up the wires).

Beautiful tank man, keep updating with pics as it comes along.

Looks great , If I only had the cash to change over my 125 .

More pics :)

The first is a pic of one of my favorites fish, a Sailfin Tang. It is the first I added to the tank. I know it will eventually outgrow my 4' long tank, but I figure I'll just upgrade when it does. Worst case scenario I'll trade it at the LFS or sell it. The second is the first coral added, a Kenyan Tree coral. It looks like it is ready to drop a branch. If it does I guess I'll have my first frag :D .

The third is a yellow Polyp. All three were all added about three weeks ago and are doing well. The white spot you see in the picture of the yellow Polyp is a very small startfish. It is so small I cannot get a good shot of it. It turned up in the tank about two and a half weeks ago as it somehow hitchhiked in. It moves along the front glass from spot to spot as I notice it in different places every day. I added some new snails and an emerald crab yesterday and today I have not seen the starfish. I'm sure it will turn up sooner or later.

The last picutre is one of the sump as it is today. The outlets which were located in the top portion of the stand have been moved to the wall behind the tank. The light is a 75w (uses 19w of power) 5700k bulb I got from HD. I picked up the clamp-on fixture from HD also.

Attachments

• sump_634.jpg
    sump_634.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 72
  • img_0132__medium__343.jpg
    img_0132__medium__343.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 49
  • kenya_tree_614.jpg
    kenya_tree_614.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 43
  • sailfin_156.jpg
    sailfin_156.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 47
Main looks good, nice rock work.

Your sump area looks huge with plenty of room for you to get in there...the 30G I made and is under my 75 takes up the entire area under the tank and is a pain to get in there and really do anything.

KurtsReef said:
Your sump area looks huge with plenty of room for you to get in there...the 30G I made and is under my 75 takes up the entire area under the tank and is a pain to get in there and really do anything.
The sump is a 40g breeder so it is pretty big and leaves almost 12" to the right to store things. The only problem is the height is only 24" and it doesn't lend to easy removal of the skimmer for cleaning. That said, how often should the skimmer be removed to clean the inside?

Back
Top Bottom