First 40 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jolopy409

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hope everyone enjoys my first tank. Yes i got rid of the hob power filter with bio wheels:). This was 1 month ago when i set it up. I will upload a fresh current photo of the new rock scape tomorrow

Attachments

• P1030390.jpg
    P1030390.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 315
  • P1030393.jpg
    P1030393.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 411
I like the scaping. What are your plans for the live stock?

Thanks, I changed the scaping entirely recently. I put in some green star polyps, green stripe mushrooms and some finger leathers... Live stock I have NO Idea. I haven't researched many fish for my size tank that are reef safe. I like the angler fish but I read it's aggressive towards anything smaller and might be hit or miss on coral. I like the strange looking fish, the ones that catch you eye when you look at the tank. Any suggestions?

I personally like the different as well. The bat fish, wrasses, and the rare tangs are a few unique fish. Reef safe is iffy on some of the wrasse and bat fish.

Updated scaping. With this set up It allowed me to always add addition LR in front of my current rock. I checked out those fish, my tank is too small for them unfortunately. I like the bat fish though!

Attachments

• P1030434.jpg
    P1030434.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 352
what kind of lights are you using? and can you let me know how much you paid for them? I'm in the market for some new lights :x

what kind of lights are you using? and can you let me know how much you paid for them? I'm in the market for some new lights :x

I'm using the marineland Reef capable Led lights. All I have in the tank right now is green stripe mushrooms and finger leathers, and the green star polyp but everthing is doing great. I paid $250 for 36in on amazon back in December.

Well after fighting algae blooms for the last few weeks and multiple water changes an hair pulling I thought my problem was just new tank syndrome. Well no, before doing the water changes the day before I stir up all the algae off the walls and siphon as much as i can from the crushed coral and let the skimmer work over night to clear the water. While doing this i notice one of my snails just sitting behind my rock not moving so i picked it up( no fight at all ) without trying to stick to the ground. I thought this was strange so i took him out of the water and sure enough i touched him and he was hard and smelled like rotten fish. To make sure that snails don't generally smell like rotten fish i grabbed 2 more and smelled them lol. Sure enough I had a rotting snail in my tank hiding behind my base rock for 2 weeks causing my algae bloom where i couldn't see him. Finally back on track.

Picture of my recent addition, a todds torch. Its been about 2 months since I last posted pictures so i'll try to take some more good ones of my other corals.

Attachments

• IMAG0554.jpg
    IMAG0554.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 170
  • IMAG0565.jpg
    IMAG0565.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 205
200 gallon reef said:
I personally like the different as well. The bat fish, wrasses, and the rare tangs are a few unique fish. Reef safe is iffy on some of the wrasse and bat fish.

Batfish are not reef safe and grow too tall for a 40 gallon. Tangs are too active and get to big for a 40. You can have nano fish, wrasses, gobys, clowns, cardinals, dartfish, etc

Back
Top Bottom