From beginning to End

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh alright, do you think that would be good or bad? I would think it would be good, but cant it be bad if the fish dont have any problems?

Also...

My cycle is done!!!

Nitrite: 0ppm

!!!!

Ok so, now i have a couple questions for anyone.

If i do a 50% water change will i still be in the blue to get fish? or should i only do like a 25% water change for starters. Not too sure on this one.

Also, im planning to get my two ocelleris clowns today, so im really confused about this whole drip acclimation thing. I saw the video on saltwaterfish.com about drip acclimation, but it's still a little hazy. Any tips or thing si should watch out for when drip acclimating them?

Thanks guys.

Oh alright, do you think that would be good or bad? I would think it would be good, but cant it be bad if the fish dont have any problems?

Also...

My cycle is done!!!

Nitrite: 0ppm

!!!!

Ok so, now i have a couple questions for anyone.

If i do a 50% water change will i still be in the blue to get fish? or should i only do like a 25% water change for starters. Not too sure on this one.

Also, im planning to get my two ocelleris clowns today, so im really confused about this whole drip acclimation thing. I saw the video on saltwaterfish.com about drip acclimation, but it's still a little hazy. Any tips or thing si should watch out for when drip acclimating them?

Thanks guys.
Congrats. I did a 50% PWC then let the tank settle in for 2 days before I got my first fish. R U using RO water? I'll keep my fingers x'd since you're not putting them thru QT.

So then i shouldnt go out and get fish today if i do a water change?

Yeah i have an ro/di unit.

So then i shouldnt go out and get fish today if i do a water change?

Yeah i have an ro/di unit.

I wouldn't, but HN1 and I like to be extra cautious. We waited 2 more months after the cycle finished to add our yasha. We started with some cheap frags, but you can definitely start with a fish if you want. Still, I'd wait a couple days like Keith said.

Alright then. So if i do a 50% water change, and then wait a couple days i should be good to add two ocelleris?

Btw SM, i never really took the time to look at the bag, but i actually have sugar sized sand lolol. Its bahamas oolite. Aragamax sugar sized sand. :p It is really nice sand though. I can see why you guys wanted it.

*Update*

Got two ocelleris clowns today. And im acclimating them right now for an hour and a half. I'll take pics when they go in the tank. But im pretty excited. They both seem to be be perfectly fine too. They swim ALOT, and look extremely healthy. Plus i got to see them eat in front of me and they did. So all is good.

Hahaha yeah it is a big day. Finally i get to put feeesh in my tank. But it's cool. What's most important to me is the health of the fish, so i'm going to do everything i can to make sure they live long and healthy.

Alright, so i acclimated them for an hour and threw them in the tank lol. They seem to be doing just fine and are swimming around quite nicely. They like to stay by eachother.

Hahaha yeah it is a big day. Finally i get to put feeesh in my tank. But it's cool. What's most important to me is the health of the fish, so i'm going to do everything i can to make sure they live long and healthy.
Congrats, where r the pics?

They are being delayed because my camera isn't very good at taking moving pictures lol. But i'll see if i can do something about it and get some nice pictures for you all.

They are being delayed because my camera isn't very good at taking moving pictures lol. But i'll see if i can do something about it and get some nice pictures for you all.

Were are they? are we gonna have to start this again? :peace:

Lol.

Ok, i got a question. Im starting to get some diatoms. I see them in little tiny brown spots on the sand. They're aren't like widespread or anything, but they are there, and im wondering why.

They will burn themselves out. They feed off of silicates from the sand. Completely normal in a new tanks. As soon as the silicates are gone, they will disappear fairly quickly.

Congrats on getting fish! Looks like you got the drip acclimation down as well! :) Can't wait to see the pics.

When do you think you'll get some corals?

Lol.

Ok, i got a question. Im starting to get some diatoms. I see them in little tiny brown spots on the sand. They're aren't like widespread or anything, but they are there, and im wondering why.
It's part of what is said to be the second cycle. Your CUC should be able keep it under control, if they can't check your nitrates, silicates and phosphates i believe any high readings in those three will contribute to their growth. Another thing is the duration of your lighting, the more longer the duration the more they will grow. They will grow and burn themselves out in a relatively short time if all of your levels are good and the lighting period is of normal duration. If they bother you that much you can always siphon it out during your PWC, use a turkey baster to blow it off the rocks etc.

Ok thanks guys. They don't bother me at all, i was just wondering what was up since i used RO water, and i thought if you used RO water you wouldnt get diatoms. But its cool.

Anyways, my nitrates are at 30ppm right now, so i dont really want to get any inverts or corals. Not until its either dropping down, or drops considerably. But for now,my clownfish are doing A ok. They eat like pigs and are now starting to branch off from their corner, and have start to explore the live rock. Pretty cool.

I think i found the reason for my exccesive nitrates though. My HOB filter. It had a huge buildup of the nastiest stuff you've ever seen. I don't really know how it all got in there, but it was like a build up of dirt, mud, grit, grime and it was all balled up to the point where it encased the live rock rubble. So, i got rid of the HOB since i have 75lbs of LR in my tank i dont need it. Plus, no more microbubbles! lol.

If your waiting for your nitrates to drop on their own you will be there for a really long time. PWC's will lower your nitrates at this point.

Back
Top Bottom