From beginning to End

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My filter had nothing but live rock rubble in it anyways.. it wasn't accomplishing anything except for building up tons of gunk like it already was. That's the whole reason i took it out. I have my skimmer running.. which takes care of alot of the nasty stuff.. Also, i can't even have a clean up crew to eat the dead stuff from my rocks and the fish waste because the nitrates are so high, inverts would freak out and die. Also, yes. I cleaned out my sand thoroughly for two days. The water was extremely cloudy, so i fugre i might as well get something done in the meantime. Took everything out and cleaned all of the sand. Every single inch. When i was done, there was nothing left but clean white sand. So it's not coming from the sand.

Now that the filter is out where is all of the stuff that it was taking out of the water going? And no, your skimmer isn't getting it all either.

If his filter was full of decaying matter, that would not have helped remove anything, it would only just add to the nitrate problem. He cycled his tank, so the live rock is established enough for just 2 small clowns which don't add much to the bioload at the rate he is feeding them. HTH.

If his filter was full of decaying matter, that would not have helped remove anything, it would only just add to the nitrate problem. He cycled his tank, so the live rock is established enough for just 2 small clowns which don't add much to the bioload at the rate he is feeding them. HTH.
Isn't that part of all maintenance, cleaning it out? So what your saying is that the live rock is taking care of the decaying material that remains in the tank in between PWC's.

Sorry, should have made that more clear. If his filter, filled with live rock, was full of decaying things, it would help remove Ammonia and and nitrites, but it would only add to the Nitrate problem so he was right to remove it. Live live rock is taking care of the ammonia from the decaying material. IME, there is no reason to need to vaccum the sand and live rock. My tank has been set up for the last 5 months with an heavy-overstocked bioload for about 3 of those 5 months and with a weekly pwc, I have NEVER seen nitrates get above 10. Ammonia and nitrite stayed at 0. All you need to do is change out water, no need to vaccum the sand and live rock as the system itself (CUC) will take care of the decaying material. Don't want to pick a fight, not why I'm on this site.

I know I'm grasping at straws but he is doing large water changes and still has high nitrates which I can't figure out. He also indicated that he has 0 Nitrates in his RO salt mix prior to putting it in the tank. He doesn't want to put in a CUC because his nitrates are high. What do you think is high for turbos because it sure would help him out? My tank as well has 0 ammonia and nitrites with nitrates running up to 15 in a two week period then drops to almost 0 after the pwc. Maybe his test kit is no good?

Test kit was my first question all along lol. I would not recommend turbos, they are big and destructive IMO. Try a few astreas, maybe 3-5 but no more than that. As I have told him before, too many and they will starve.

They knock things like coral and loose pieces of live rock over. If you epoxy things down you should be fine. If nothing is epoxied, then expect them to knock things over.

Which is why i didnt want Turbos' lol. Anyways, my clowns stopped fighting and are now just chillin together, but one has a slightly ripped anal fin. But oh well.. not much i could have done. But seriously.. i don't want to risk things dying in my tank.. and inverts can't be in tanks over 15ppm i know that.. So i wouldn't even dare try with nitrates as high as mine are right now. Don't know guys.. im stumped. :(

I hear what you're saying, but it's hard for me to imagine that only the nitrates test isn't working... -_- Also, i just don;t have the spare money for that right now.

I hear what you're saying, but it's hard for me to imagine that only the nitrates test isn't working... -_- Also, i just don;t have the spare money for that right now.
Have your LFS test it for you.

Yeah, my LFS isn't open on sundays and i start class tomorrow lol. So idk.. ill see what i can do. But something just occured to me. My nitrate test kit is fine... My PWC water tested zero.. my tank water tested around 30ppm. Obviously it's working..

It's always good to have someone else check it so you can be absolutely sure, unless you are 100% sure and comfortable with it.

Back
Top Bottom