HovaZ 55 setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good!! How many gal is the sump?

You know I'm not totally sure guess I'm gonna have to find out cause its kind of hard trying to find a skimmer I can fit in it but it fits perfectly in my stand which is pretty thin... Thank beengirl wish it could get like yours some day :)

Yours will be awesome!! I was just sitting here looking at my tank, the nem is very happy today, just waving around. :D
Let me know how the black sand is as far as keeping it clean. I like the look of the black sand, it's cool!!

Thanx hope so but I haven't had much trouble keeping it clean at all thus far...I think it would look soooo much better under LEDs as oppose to the t5s I run it under now it kinda makes the corals color stand out much more

A few issues with black sand that should be considered. First, it is black and absorbs much more light and transfers that as heating the water. It also absorbs light rather than reflecting it back to the corals. It has no buffering capacity as it is ground lava, not coral. But the worst thing is that it can contain metals that are very bad for the aquarium. Not all of it does, but some, and it isn't simple to test for it. So if you got it from a reputable aquarium supplier, it is all glass with no soluble minerals in it and would be safe to use.

It sure is pretty, I agree. Just remember the potential down side to using it. I collected some of it off a beach in Hawaii once, but didn't use it for the reasons I just gave, plus I was told that by removing it from Hawaii, I was cursed. I eventually returned it on another trip.

Wow dats weird I've been using black sand for years and never had an issue with it and lol about the curse I would have bought the sand from you

I was told I was angering the volcano god. If its made of glass it's okay, but regular lava isn't. It's why we don't use lava rocks in saltwater.

Back
Top Bottom