How small

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calypso77

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How small of a tank size can you use to start a saltwater aqarium?

SW tanks are anywhere from 5g to thousands of gallons. For a first time SW tank though, bigger is easier. More water means any problems in parameters is a little more forgiving. In a 5g, parameters can get dangerous REAL fast.

I have a 20 gal freshwater tank, could I convert it to sw and if so is it a lot to do? Right now it is fw with decor and gravel.

Calypso77 said:
I have a 20 gal freshwater tank, could I convert it to sw and if so is it a lot to do? Right now it is fw with decor and gravel.

If you just want to do FOWLR ( fish only with live Rock), you could convert it for not a lot of money. I converted my 30 to SW FOWLR for about $200, but i already had the tests and salt. You'll need some rock, I used 80% base rock and 20% live rock- base is waaaayyy cheaper. Get rid of the gravel, will trap too much poo/food and cause nitrate problems. You'll need about 20-30 # sand, depending on how deep You Want the sandbed and if you want anything that burrows in the sand, you'll want at least 30#. You can use live sand if you want, I've heard if people using pool sand, but I've never done that. I've only ever used live sand. You'll need some salt, I buy the big bucket for about $50 and it lasts a long time. For FOWLR, you can use the same light as you already have. You'll need a heater with a dial-in temp. Aqueaon makes good heater and have a lifetime warranty. Test kits: need ammonia, nitrite and nitrate if you don't already have them. Thermometer if you don't have one. A filter rated twice the size of your tank, if you already have one that size, you can use it, but will have to clean it out and put in all new media. The BB for FW and SW are different.
Just get rid of everything in your current tank, clean/scrub tank with vinegar and water. Rinse very well. If usin the same filter, get rid of inside material and scrub with vinegar water also. I soaked mine overnight to make sure all the little cevices got clean, then soaked overnight and in clean RO water after rinsing.
For SW you'll need to use RO or distilled water or you'll end up with algae/cyano problems down the road. Most LFS sell it, but ya gotta ask cuz they usually don't advertise it. I bought some 5 g clean paint buckets from lowes for about $5 for lid/bucket, fill these at LFS and bring home.
You'll also need at least 1 good circulation pump to keep debris from gathering, I put two in my 30g. But u can start with 1 and then see if there are any dead areas and add another if you need it.
Then put it all together again, add your ammonia source and cycle the tank for about a month. Then you're ready for fish when the cycle is done.

Awesome. Thanks so much Hun for all the info I appreciate it. :)

Back
Top Bottom