Jnam's JBJ Picotope of softies (maybe some LPS and SPS...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I maintain the temp right at 79 now with out any issues (verified with a RKE) Evap in this tank is what is crazy thats why I HAD to have an ATO.

What top off system do you use? I am looking for one for my nano, but I am not sure if they are sensitive enough to work for a nano. Thanks and btw the tank looks great!

I don't know if his link at Nano-Reef.com Forums has that information or not but you can probably find something that will work over there.

I thought it was Jnam posting with the pictures he promise.

LOL wow sorry work is crazy this time of year. I garauntee some pics tonight!!! The top off I built my self I can post the schematic for you the sensitivity is just fine for my Nano.

Ok so while I am here quick update:

Coraline is growing like mad, the ATO has been working great the only change I made as to the connectors the salt creep was coroding the contacts real bad and the snail gaurd kept getting in the way so I chucked it. I really dont need it anyways with the two floats. The tank has been fantasticly stable all the livestock has been flourishing the Digi has taken off and the Zoas have been splitting like crazy. This tank has been extremely rewarding since the holiday season is over i hope to get some more corals in this baby. Still havent managed to catch my goby and move it over but who needs fish anyways!

This seems really cool. Where did you get that lamp? I have a 2.5g with a betta that I'm moving to my 5g once I"M done using it as a qt. Maybe I could use the 2.5g in a few years or something when I have the money.

Lol Its cuz I can't find the right species. I just need four more fish. Then I can move my betta to the 5 turn the 10 to a FBT tank and get another 10 to keep in the closet for a hospital tank lol. Then I'll have an empty 2.5... for a little bit haahaha. Also, what brand is the 24w pc light and what are the dimensions? Thanks.

Edit: I now understand how an ato system works lol. So... Where are some more pics? :)

I need an Dummy's Guide to an ATO! I know the critter bottle seems to be the simple way to go but no place to hang it.

Wow I suck at this whole getting pictures game. Work just keeps me here way toooooo late sometimes. Critter bottle works I will draw up a couple ATOs that i have used that work great and are super cheap and easy to DIY. The 24w light is a Odyssea super cheapy PC light from aquatraders.com they get a bad rap but I havent had a single issue with either the lights from them nor the service (you do get what you pay for the bulbs dont last as long as I would like) the light is 13" but the legs are easy to adjust.

ATOS

Attachments

• ATO Air fed.jpg
    ATO Air fed.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 111
  • grav fed ato.jpg
    grav fed ato.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 118
I am probably gonna make the first 1 so don't be surprised if i PM you on what to cut/add to the air pump. Matter of fact i would love if you pmed me on what EXACTLY to do.

I can explain it here for you. Its pretty simple. Carefully unscrew the airpumps outer cover. once off you should be able to see the backside of the battery compartment. Comming from the compartments battery contacts will be a red and a black wire cut the longer of the two and splice in the switch (use wire nuts and for the best result I would solder it). Its really that easy. As far as making the jug take a 1 gallon milk jug (CLEAN IT FIRST!) and drill 2 holes slightly smaller than the diameter of the airline tubing you are using. Pull the tubing through and that will make an airtight seal. The tube that feeds the water out needs to be submerged completely and the tube that supplies the air needs to be about 2" inside the lid. You want the pump to be as close to the jug as you can get it I wouldnt use more than 1 foot of tubing between the two. The tube going to your tank can be 6-8 ft long but this unit wont get the water any higher than 6 feet

For a Pico Reef? I dont think so aquarium1 those small LEDs while bright dont have the PAR to grow any corals. You might get away with a few zoas but even then I would doubt them to work. LED technology is fantastic but the kinds of LEDs that are required for a reef tank are much larger and require a heat sink to check out the LED lighting section on www.nano-reef.com And for that price i would just buy the one from aquatraders like mine its a 24w PC and is MORE than enough light for my little 3 gallon pico

ok thanks I was just curious. It said it emitted light for marine conditions and it was the perfects size is why lol. I'll just keep looking.

So you say the bulbs didn't last long. What bulbs did you replace them with? Those really are cheap and I might just get replacement bulbs with it, if I get it.

The ballasts are workhorse electronic ballasts and they work very well. the reflectors are a b+ I would replace it with a quality 24w PC light from Hellolights.com

Back
Top Bottom