Kevin's 36 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you. yeah I like the chromis and they are pretty affordable, I wasn't planning on getting them but I am glad I did they are VERY active lol. I was feeding my clowns by hand cause it cut down on waste I am going to try to get them trained too lol. they seem to gobble up anything in the water unlike my clowns. The clowns will eat frozen but the only way they seem to eat flakes is if I feed them by hand.

Thank you. yeah I like the chromis and they are pretty affordable, I wasn't planning on getting them but I am glad I did they are VERY active lol. I was feeding my clowns by hand cause it cut down on waste I am going to try to get them trained too lol. they seem to gobble up anything in the water unlike my clowns. The clowns will eat frozen but the only way they seem to eat flakes is if I feed them by hand.

Hmm. I've never fed anything but frozen, and my clowns gobble it all up instantly. Lol. They're little fatsos though. Haha. I'm glad you like them. :)

Yeah my clowns go to town on frozen food the lfs I got them from feeds their fish frozen food. They still eat flakes it just seems like it takes them forever to eat it all unless I hold it lol. Bad part is I can't sick my hand in without them attacking it lol.

Yeah my clowns go to town on frozen food the lfs I got them from feeds their fish frozen food. They still eat flakes it just seems like it takes them forever to eat it all unless I hold it lol. Bad part is I can't sick my hand in without them attacking it lol.

I've never even fed mine by hand and they go crazy attacking my hand like they're starving every time. Lol. Goofy things. Maybe mine eat faster because they're only in 10 gallons and the food probably isn't spread out.

:-( I was hoping that the reef crystals were good but I guess not :-( the water seemed to get cloudier than it was and the salinity seemed to be dropping darn it.

Dumped it and started a new batch with my good salt. Well it was worth a try.

I was freaked out for a few. I went to check on everything and one of the chromis was on the bottom behind all my live rock... Where was the other one? I looked in all the caves and everything and finally after 10 minutes found him in a little tiny opening that I don't know how he got in it. All I seen was his head...

:-( I was hoping that the reef crystals were good but I guess not :-( the water seemed to get cloudier than it was and the salinity seemed to be dropping darn it.

Dumped it and started a new batch with my good salt. Well it was worth a try.

Sorry Kevin, I don't know why they wouldn't have worked.

Stocking list ideas

Ok so I wasn't planning on getting 2 chromis :)

2 occ clowns
2 blue green chromis

2 spotted cardinals ?
1 six line wrasse ?
1 firefish ?
1 orange spotted goby ?
1 cirinis goby ?

1 cleaner shrimp ?
1 pistol shrimp ?

I seen some weird things I'm sand maybe a Blenny I think they were called instead of one of the gobys just a thought

6 maybe 7 total fish for your tank.
I would add, 1 six line wrasse, 1 firefish and possibly one of the gobys or a blenny. I would stay away from a bicolor blenny though. Mine developed a taste for my soft corals and I had to return him. And a shrimp.
Anyone else agree or disagree with the total number if fish for a 36gal tank?

I'm noticing my sand is turning kinda pink is that normal? I'm getting brown hairy algae on my sand and back glass as well

The salt mix still looks cloudy guess we will try to do a water change tomorrow

I would say cyano bacteria also. Over feeding, low flow, high phosphates and too much light are all contributing factors. Cut back on feeding, cut your light cycle back and try to suck as much out as possible with some air line tubing.

done a water change water a little cloudy now but not bad.
Salt at 1.024 and I want it at 1.025 so I'm just gonna wait for it to evaporate :)

I agree. Even six fish may be pushing it. Depends on how much work you're willing to put into it. My old 30 had a 15 gallon refugium, a skimmer, and about 75-85 pounds of live rock. Three fish was just right to keep it really low maintenance. Any more than that and the feedings started to cause some algae, not to mention some territorial stress among the fish. I only did monthly water changes though.

Yeah I plan on keeping up the weekly water changes. And I plan on having a pretty good cuc I'm gonna order more snails from reefcleaners.com and eventually adding more rock and sand

Tested everything my calcium is a little low now?

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Ph 8.0-8.2
Temp 78.4
Specific gravity 1.024
Kh 11
Calcium 340

Should I add some reef code?

Give it a cap and a half of code A. Your KH is at the very top of the safe range. Only way to reduce KH is pwc. Just keep your eye on it. I keep mine around 9.

Back
Top Bottom