Kevin's 36 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah me either. The xenia looks great and the cabbage looks to have gotten even larger. The kenya looks to be opening a bit but I figure it will take a while. Tony tried to glue them without success. And I just glued the crap out of them. The mushrooms don't look to have gotten any bigger yet

My Kenya trees are really finicky and get upset about little things. My Xenias really only get like that when some thing touches them. I hope he didn't tear them up with so much glue, but I've accidentally done that before and everything turned out okay.

No he didn't tear them up. They fell off his coral and he tried to glue them to a small rock and they cane back off. now me on other hand and glued the crap out of them lol
I read they will secrete slime that will break the bond with the glue. Figured if I load up on glue maybe it will stay

No he didn't tear them up. They fell off his coral and he tried to glue them to a small rock and they cane back off. now me on other hand and glued the crap out of them lol
I read they will secrete slime that will break the bond with the glue. Figured if I load up on glue maybe it will stay

Lol. Cool. I didn't know that. Interesting. I have used A LOT of glue. I'm glad to know I'm not suffocating the little guys.

Lol. Cool. I didn't know that. Interesting. I have used A LOT of glue. I'm glad to know I'm not suffocating the little guys.

well I don't know if what I done was right though. I read you put a cup in the tank with some sand and let it, attach to the sand then you can glue it easily. I didn't read that until I had already done it how I did

kwandrsn said:
well I don't know if what I done was right though. I read you put a cup in the tank with some sand and let it, attach to the sand then you can glue it easily. I didn't read that until I had already done it how I did

The cup with sand technique is the one I usually go with. The idea is to let the coral naturally bond to something that can be easily glued to another rock. I've also used rock rubble for Kenya trees. I mostly go with sand in a PVC endcap or a plastic cup that you cut short and fill with sand whenever I work with mushrooms or corals with really soft flesh.

The cup with sand technique is the one I usually go with. The idea is to let the coral naturally bond to something that can be easily glued to another rock. I've also used rock rubble for Kenya trees. I mostly go with sand in a PVC endcap or a plastic cup that you cut short and fill with sand whenever I work with mushrooms or corals with really soft flesh.

Yeah I'm gonna do that next time. I hadn't really researched it before hand my mistake I guess live and learn. I've been buying coral on plugs so hadn't had to do anything other than glue the plugs to my rock. Well I did glue my candy cane directly to a rock cause it had no base but its hard. I've got one candy cane head that is shaded and doesn't look good. I read I can use a pair of side cutters and chop it off and put it somewhere else I'm just afraid of trying it.

How do I do cup sand method? I put some sand in a small container and put Kenya tree pieces in it. They blew back out so I put some plastic screen like material on the container with a rubber band. Will they attach like that our do I need to bury them or something

That looks pretty good. The Kenya should bind to the sand at it's base in one to two weeks (sometimes in just 3 or 4 days) and then you can glue it to a rock or plug. There are a couple other ways to attach them. You may want to google "how to propagate attach Kenya tree corals" and try out two different methods, seeing how you have two cuttings. They usually attach really fast.

New pics

Cabbage leather

Unknown leather possibly finger

Candy cane coral

My mushrooms that were green now they ain't I don't know what's up with that

Pulsating xenia

frogspawn

Duncan

Kenya tree I'm trying to get to attach

And mystery coral

I'm interested to see if the cup-o-sand technique werks. I'm trading my montipora plug for a Kenya frag.

Ok I'm not doing the cup technique any more. I'm gonna tie them to a rock using white thread

I may leave one in sand cup just to see though

Ok this morning I took a small rock out and my cup of sand with my two Kenya branches

I found some white string and wet it in the tank and wrapped both pieces of Kenya tree around the rock with the string.

I'll post a picture this evening when and if it starts to open up

In a few weeks I'm going to attempt to cut the string off and see if they attached or not

That should work, mine attached in about 1 week. If they hadn't broke of the main coral 2 days before we swapped I could have gotten them attached to a rock for ya. Sorry your having issues with them.

That should work, mine attached in about 1 week. If they hadn't broke of the main coral 2 days before we swapped I could have gotten them attached to a rock for ya. Sorry your having issues with them.

No don't be it'll be ok. I'm learning how to attach them

Your mystery coral looks like anthelia (clove polyps). One shop in New Orleans sells a "lightening" version that has pink centers with an orange stripe on each feathery tendril. A-MA-ZING! Julian Sprung even went to get some after a trade show for a couple of his tanks.

Back
Top Bottom