Kevin's 36 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really cool! Thanks! I'm going to have to look into doing that.

Really cool! Thanks! I'm going to have to look into doing that.

It was really simple I wanted to make mine 2 pieces cause my light would keep me from getting it off so I made a template out of cardboard the exact size cut the curved part off and marked the plastic where I needed to cut. I used a pair of wire cutters and it basically breaks where you try to cut it. I was so amazed at how easy it was to make. The curved part was the only hard part but the whole thing only took 15 minutes to make. It doesn't seem to block the light any. and you can cut notches for the filter and wires and what not. All I have to do is lift the curved part up and set it on end and feed.the fish and anything else I need

One thing I like is it is the same size as the lip so it sits flush.

On a rectangle tank it would be even simpler. And instead of having a whole piece removable for access you can cut a piece out of it and cut another out of the scrap a, little larger for a access panel.

It was really simple I wanted to make mine 2 pieces cause my light would keep me from getting it off so I made a template out of cardboard the exact size cut the curved part off and marked the plastic where I needed to cut. I used a pair of wire cutters and it basically breaks where you try to cut it. I was so amazed at how easy it was to make. The curved part was the only hard part but the whole thing only took 15 minutes to make. It doesn't seem to block the light any. and you can cut notches for the filter and wires and what not. All I have to do is lift the curved part up and set it on end and feed.the fish and anything else I need

Awesome! I don't know when, but I'm going to do that.

Well I think I'm diatom free now, thank goodness that was ugly and I'm noticing dead rock is starting to turn purple

That's good news diatomes are ugly. Coralline algae starting to spread. It's nice when you start getting color on the rocks.

Hey Tony, will AC fill 5 gallon buckets? I'm needing to do a larger water change to get my nitrates down some. I can only mix 5 gallons at a time so I figured I would buy some mixed

Hey Tony, will AC fill 5 gallon buckets? I'm needing to do a larger water change to get my nitrates down some. I can only mix 5 gallons at a time so I figured I would buy some mixed

I don't see why they wouldn't. I'd give them a call to check before you make the drive though.

Once you do the water changes to get the nitrate down it would be worth waiting a while before adding that wrasse. You know, just to see if the tank comes into balance with the load it's already under. If you get the nitrates down and they stop climbing you would be in a better position to add another fish. No sense in pushing the bio load any higher before it proves it can handle things as they are now.

Ever considered getting more live rock?

Once you do the water changes to get the nitrate down it would be worth waiting a while before adding that wrasse. You know, just to see if the tank comes into balance with the load it's already under. If you get the nitrates down and they stop climbing you would be in a better position to add another fish. No sense in pushing the bio load any higher before it proves it can handle things as they are now.

Ever considered getting more live rock?

The nitrates are not rising they just stayed at 10-20
I should have done a bigger water change when it was done cycling. I don't a 10% one day and then a 10% the next and then 10s each week after that but I never got it lower than 10-20

I plan on buying more eventually

That's good. The fish will tussle less over territory with more rock for each of them to claim. It'll also give you more surface for natural denitrification. I just wish it wasn't so darn expensive! Takes forever just to save enough cash to add rock to one tank. >_<

That's good. The fish will tussle less over territory with more rock for each of them to claim. It'll also give you more surface for natural denitrification. I just wish it wasn't so darn expensive! Takes forever just to save enough cash to add rock to one tank. >_<

Yeah I figured when the "dead rock" I have looks good (purple) and matches the 2 lbs of live rock I added I will start adding some more figured when I get enough I'll with drill it or putty them together and attach to the rocks I have now

Can't wait to see that. I've seen tanks where people drilled the rock and added fiberglass rods to make towers. So cool, but way more work than I'm willing to go through. Putty always worked out just fine.

Ok well I done a pwc this morning nitrates are about 5-10, I hate api's nitrate kit hard for me to see the difference in color. My leather has been doing better the past two days
The cloudiness of the water is a little better

Back
Top Bottom