Last fish: Achilles Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe24wr

Aquarium Advice Regular
Got the last fish for my 150 gallon, 7inch Hawaii Achilles tang, what do you all think?

Attachments

• image-3036333085.jpg
    image-3036333085.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 164
  • image-2231116885.jpg
    image-2231116885.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 158
He's one of the only fish in the tank and he's fine, he's not to big, the others are a blue tang, blonde naso, dogface puffer, some dwarf angels and a good stripe maroon clown, but I will be getting rid of the bigger tangs when they get too big

I disagree that he's fine. I expect him to get sick. I hope he doesn't though.
He's one of the only fish besides all those other fish? Okay.
You asked what we all think. I think a 7" tang has no place in a 6' tank, let alone a bunch of fish that size.
I wouldn't put a 7" tang in my 300 gallon.

How is 7 fish too many? the tang will be fine, but thanks for your input, I did ask what everyone thinks and that's your opinion.

How is 7 fish too many? the tang will be fine, but thanks for your input, I did ask what everyone thinks and that's your opinion.
You must have some killer filtration keeping that many large fish from polluting that tank. How is 7 fish too many? You could have 70 chromis in that tank, but not quite as many XL fish.

I think it's time to trade it in for credit, since it's too big for your tank.

I have to agree with X here. the puffer + 3 tangs is just asking for trouble. the achilles is one of those fish that should be in a much larger tank regardless of what liveaquaria says. I wouldn't go as far as to say i wouldn't put it in a 300, but that's pretty much the smallest I'd keep it in.

bottom line is CAN it be done? yes
SHOULD it be done? probably not

The achilles tang needs alot of room to swim, not only that but can be aggressive and its not a good idea to put a bunch of different tangs together. Beautiful fish but they are also prone to sickness. Just as a powder blue is prone to ich. It is an expert care fish. I dont know your skill level but....... To have him with other fish id have atleast a 500g

Bhardesty said:
The achilles tang needs alot of room to swim, not only that but can be aggressive and its not a good idea to put a bunch of different tangs together. Beautiful fish but they are also prone to sickness. Just as a powder blue is prone to ich. It is an expert care fish. I dont know your skill level but....... To have him with other fish id have atleast a 500g

Guys lets be real. 500 gallon tanks are not very common and thats not the only size tank that this fish will fit in. That is kinda extreme IMO.

True he will fit in other sizes but depending on your fish ypu have, their size, rock, coral, you needs alot of room to be comfortable. Ive got a buddy who has one in a 300g an has had him for 8 months. Everyone else ive know to have one, they have died at 6 months or less. I hope yours doesnt. But if it starts acting different or weird, id move him to a bigger tank or try and trade him in.

Guys lets be real. 500 gallon tanks are not very common and thats not the only size tank that this fish will fit in. That is kinda extreme IMO.

just because a tank size isn't common doesn't make it unrealistic. but yea 500 is a bit much. a 7/8ft tank would be fine for this but it's already too big for the surroundings it has. I hope your tang does well & we're all wrong, I'd like nothing more. But the reality is that having 3 big tangs + a puffer in a 150 is going to be a major problem pretty quickly

500 is a lil much. But for a fish like that i wouldnt chance it. Expecially if you want other livestock.

He's one of the only fish in the tank and he's fine, he's not to big, the others are a blue tang, blonde naso, dogface puffer, some dwarf angels and a good stripe maroon clown, but I will be getting rid of the bigger tangs when they get too big
IMO, that is a poor selection of fish for a 150. Good luck with the Achilles, but with the poor track record of survival they have and the fact it's in with other large fish, I don't see this turning out too well. Keep us updated.

IMO, that is a poor selection of fish for a 150. Good luck with the Achilles, but with the poor track record of survival they have and the fact it's in with other large fish, I don't see this turning out too well. Keep us updated.
I think this is key,,the achilles just isn't known for long term survival in any home aquarium ..I read over and over again that people lose them within a year..
Good luck though,they are beautiful fish for sure..

i would ditch one of the tangs and the puffer. bt for sure the puffer they are wa too messy.. you say blue tank? a regal or a powder blue?

Back
Top Bottom