Month old tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MEIndrei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is our new 55g tank...

So far we have
64 lbs of LR
3 chromis
2 scissor tails
2 firefish
1 six line wrasse
1 diamond goby
4 peppermint shrimp
1 sand sifter star
1 brittle star
10 hermit crabs
5 snails

Any suggestions on what to get next?

Attachments

• image-1177493985.jpg
    image-1177493985.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 281
9 fish in a month old tank?? I'd suggest you "get" 4-6 weeks of not adding anything else. That's real fast IMO and your tank is gonna go thru some changes still. Sorry to bear bad news but your sand sifting star likely won't live long. There's nothing in that sand bed for it to eat.

I know it's hard being exited about a new tank but you really should slow down a bit.

I have to agree with austinsdad, that's quite a few fish in a short amount of time. I've been restraining myself with regard to my 55g. it's really hard i know but your tank may still have it's parameters change a bit here or there and with that many fish it could be tragic.

I think you could probably add a few more cuc though. :)

Thanks for the info! I had a tank a few years back and im eager to get back to where i left off... :)

@ Carey: you'll have to forgive me, but im not "hip to the lingo" lol. What does cuc mean?

Also; we've been testing the water and as of yesterday all is well and within recommended parameters. :)

Ah!! That makes perfect sense ;)

Yeah, we're definitely going to get more snails. The diamond goby is doing a stellar job with the sand.

Is there a way we can supplement food for the sandsifter?

I think your cuc is enuf for now also. Likely not enuf to clean in such a new tank. Any way to open up that rockwork to allow for swim thru holes? 2 or 3 of them. Looks too much like a wall. Believe me, your critters will be happier and so will you as they swim thru the holes and peer from them. I found it much more pleasurable to see them more. Feel free to lean rocks on the back wall to support them and your holes.

Here are some close up pics. The pictures dont really do justice, but there are plenty of little holes to swim through. The wrasse especially loves swimming through them.

Attachments

• image-2513195245.jpg
    image-2513195245.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 167
  • image-331831108.jpg
    image-331831108.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 159
  • image-4193250680.jpg
    image-4193250680.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 147
And another one

Attachments

• image-895528293.jpg
    image-895528293.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 149
@hackteck... Thanks again :)

@austinsdad: there are a myriad of holes for the fish to swim through... Perhaps the pictures dont do it justice, but the fish and all the other critters love it... I must admit that i may enjoy it even more! :)

Back
Top Bottom