My 1st Salt Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sir Ottis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 90 gal sw reef. I have had it up for 3 months now. Thaks to alot of you it has been a successful 3 months....save 1 Blue Tang.

Current Livestock:

Corals:
Frogspawn
Torch
Brown and Pink Colts
Hairy Shrooms
Yellow Brain
GSP
Mixed Zoas
Blue Pumping Xenia
Pearl Bubble
White Candy
Misc. Rics

Fish:
Yellow Tang
Orange & Black Percs.
Coral Beauty

Inverts:
Turbos/Ast/Nass/Emerald/Blue Legged Crabs
Blue Linka
Scarlet Reef Shrimp

As it started 3 months ago......

img_888110_0_ef2dd1cd47d79ed5a6483c8b73eb2fba.jpg

And now....3 months later

img_888110_1_e666a910ad046d2a3fb3ed837171db91.jpg

Here is the left side.

img_888110_2_43626101134f9a33117d1e520fbcfceb.jpg

Here is the left with my Coral Beauty poking his head out....lol

img_888110_3_e24e4032a3fb2daa22f5d30ea1240ec4.jpg

img_888110_4_6e024d979e68fd388994e7fa5aa8b1f2.jpg

And here is the right side.....

img_888110_5_e49bf7542cc7fbbab084d62e6ef58cc9.jpg

Very nice tank. I love the linknia also. Mine is over 3 yrs now. Again thanks for the pics

I have never tried hand feeding. I use a child medicine dropper to feed the Marine Cuisine every other day. Every other feeding I also feed with Cyclopeze locally to all of the corals. And non-feeding days I give the Tang and Coral Beauty a small piece of Red Seeweed.

The clowns will nip at the dropper when I feed the Marine Cuisine. And when I have to put my hand in the tank, they will nip at my hand.....kida funny. My clownfish have great personalities.

Actually, I wanted to have one Oragne and one Black in the beginning. I had read where if you get juviniles of each and introduce them at the same time they might co-exist.

So I tried it and they actually paired up. They are like white-on-rice with each other. They are rarely more than 12" apart from each other. I would also point out they were the first fish that I added.

All in all, all of my fish, the 2 clowns, yellow tang, and coral beauty get along very well. The tang lets the black clown nip at his nori when I clip in in the tank. He will back off and let the clown get a nibble and then go back to nibbling.

Thats cool. glad they paired up for you. I had two of the same clowns and they wouldn't pair. A very nice looking tank. Your star looks good too, i'd like to get one of those one day down the road.

Thought I would Upload some updated pics - Tank is now 8 months old. I have a new light and am in the process of building a new canopy. I have had the new light for a month now and will be adding more sps over the comming months.

img_943108_0_f7ceb8faefba51f4a85edfad10e13207.jpg

img_943108_1_7c31af1bf12fd5b704314372d4742e37.jpg

img_943108_2_96cd7711b5f0f783ee8bc1651ef21b88.jpg

Now i see why people progress from FOWLR to a reef .Very nice like that flame angel too.

Like I said before - thanks to this forum my tank has been a success. I never dreamed this would be so addicting.

I already want to get another tank set up - thinking a FOWLR. I really would like a tank for a few longfin banners. I really like some of the tank pics on this site that look more natural. It is amazing we are able to create and maintain an environment like this in our own homes.

Thanks again to everyone's advice and participation in this forum.

Awesome looking tank. I am not being a nay-sayer... just wondering. Linknias are supposed to be introduced to mature established aquariums. How is it doing?

TANK Looks AWESOME... I'm taking monthly pics of my tank too.. Hopefully in 8-12 months i will have similar results.

Question.. How do you like that Overflow? I'm thinking of purchasing a box and noticed that model is like 1/2 the price of the CPR.. Just curious

Wow! Your tank has really matured and looks great.

I gots me some of that SW fever!

The overflow is from Tom's Aquatics. I am running a PS4 of theirs. If you have to have an over flow - I guess it is alright. I have had trouble with the Aqualifter - which Tom's Aquatics has replaced. BTW - Tom's Aquatics is AWSOME to deal with.

The Linka is no loner with us. I had a piece of LR fall over and pin him to the glass - which I discovered when I got home one day. He didn't make it. Other than that he was doing great. My LFS has tried to order them for 3 months now and they are having trouble getting them to acclimate. I really want another one. I think the reason I was able to keep one so early is because I had 150 lbs of LR from an existing 5 yr old tank and used 50 gallons(out of 70 actual - 90 gal tank) of cycled water from the onset.

I never realized how fast zenias and colt corals grow. They are my "money makers" They grow so fast their frags pay for my salt for water changes - no kidding.. and I change 15% with Reef Crystals every other week.

Tanks for the comments. I really enjoy watching all of your tanks mature as well.

Back
Top Bottom