My 72 gallon BF tank journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, injured chromis bit the dust overnight. So I'll call petsolutions today and hopefully they will reimburse me (14 day guarantee)!

Sorry about the fish Lefty, thats kinda a bummer. :-( You did your best with him though so thats all you can do.

I'm sure petsolutions will give you your credit on a brighter note.

Got refunded for the chromis, they did want my before photo so they could see who sent me a fish with a hole on it's head.

Everyone else doing okay, might do hypo with them, waiting it out a little longer before I decide.

Lenny, my blenny, grabbed a snail off the tank wall in front of me to get my attention, what a fish. I fed him.

Well, the other large Chromis died over night and the smaller one now has a wound/hole on his side. So could the dotty back be attacking them at night? I know the first one arrived damaged, but he seemed okay that day.

I acclimated the 6 line for 4 hours and put him in the DT, he is so docile. Everyone has met him and they all in true fashion greated him and showed no aggression even the clowns were nice when he visited them by their RBTA.

So, I will bring the dotty back to my LFS for credit, they take trades, and see what they have that has color and is peaceful. I was thinking of a one spot foxface, but I'll wait to bring anything home so I can see if the chromis survives and get him out of QT, been in there two weeks now, only problem was this wound on the side.

Gti_Leo said:
thats a shame :( they are such a nice fishy. is it in the main display or still in QT?

That's what I was hoping, not this one, terror. I'm listening to my gut on this one and trading it in.

go for it, but you could always place it in youre main displap tank and hope it vanquishes its dominance and it mellows out a bit

After watching the dottyback attack the chromis this morning, I bagged it and then brought it to the LFS, I told them it is mean, so I don't even want money for it, lol! I did however pick up a kole tang, I couldn't resist, so the Kole Tang and remaining Chromis are going to go through hypo together, I really don't think the chromis will survive the night being as beat up as it is, but we'll see. Hypo begins in the am after the kole has had some time overnight to relax. I'm hoping the chromis makes it because they hypo will be good for it, nice and calm after having a violent tank mate. There was no way I was releasing that beast into my DT.

Chromis did not make it through the night the other day, so I have Kole Tang in 20g QT, awaiting some advice on a thread I started about QT protocols. She is very timid, I think I will go get another fish that has been in a tank longer, like the foxface at the lfs so she will come out of the corner. And I need to pick up prazi pro med to de-worm as I read that should be done with all new fish. So, off to the store later.

my mini carpet nems, with blue leds on, the yellow one is much more vibrant than I can capture, but the green and blue are pretty close...
img_1618231_0_3789a2e994967373749b94feed42d486.jpg

Wow, pretty stunning photos. :)

Sorry to hear about the chromis, thats a bum break. Kole tang is a great fish too though, I found mine came out more after a few days so maybe he will get mor social soon.

So I decided on my QT protocol that I can live with. It will be as follows:

1. Acclimate to QT, keep it dark besides room light, observe that fish is eating for a few days. Slowly add some light during the day.
2. Start cupramine for two weeks, as long as fish remain eating.
3. Remove copper, start prazipro for 10 days, as long as fish remain eating.
4. Acclimate to the main tank after observing for two more weeks.

The only thing I may change is step 4, not sure after treating them if I need to observe more or not. Doing more research while waiting for meds to arrive.

I got a foxface lo that was bought by the store as a credit from a tank breakdown. he is very comfortable in a tank and eating well. So I put him in QT with Kole Tang.

I've seen the bond that ff and tangs form at the local coral place, so I wasn't to surprised to see that the two are inseparable! Ff showed Kole how to eat off the clip, so both are eating and swimming around.

Had a mini cycle in QT, I have been doing water changes in the DT and putting the old water in QT so it wouldn't be as harsh on the fish as freshly mixed. Today it's looking better! So I delayed starting copper until the cycling was done. Will check again tomorrow and do another 25% water change. If it looks good I will start my QT protocol.

Happy to report the Kole Tang and Foxface are doing great in the QT, I started copper and they were both acting weird, so I stopped it, did a water change and I am going to run carbon to remove the copper and do prazipro. They are both eating well, no signs of anything, but they will stay in QT for at least 7 more weeks so I can be sure there is no ich. I think they are stressed (in a 20H) so I am hoping it would show up in 8 weeks. They are going to look amazing in the new tank! I will try copper when I only have 1 fish in there, what ever that may be...I'm thinking TANG, but not sure what kind (for the 197G).

So, I'm going to start a thread for the 197G acrylic tank and will update this if there is any major events from now until I start slowly moving things over!

I left on Thursday and had to tell myself to leave the kole tang and foxface in the QT, even though I wanted to throw them in the DT so they would be okay, I had them for 19 days. I resisted my urge and told myself if anything happened to the other fish I wouldn't be able to forgive my impatience, and left them in the QT.

Got back today, had them for 21 days (foxface 19 days) and both are covered in ICH! What a confirmation in patience. I started cupramine, but only 3/4 of the first dose, and both are acting fine. Will continue to bring it up slowly over the next few days. Both are eating and otherwise healthy and completed a 7 day course of prazipro earlier last week.

In other news, I've sold some overgrown corals locally, yeah! Paid for themselves and a little more!

Beautiful tank! I really like your Chromis, what is the name (First time I have looked at the thread)? Thanks!

redsea said:
Beautiful tank! I really like your Chromis, what is the name (First time I have looked at the thread)? Thanks!

Thank you, the chromis were Vanderbilt chromis, but none of the three made it out of the QT, they were beat up looking when they arrived, one had a hole in its head, not impressed with Petsolutions, they refunded me for 1 of them. I think saltwater comes from a distributor so they have no hands on control.

I really like their look but after that experience, if my LFS can't get them then I won't have any.

leftyfish said:
Thank you, the chromis were Vanderbilt chromis, but none of the three made it out of the QT, they were beat up looking when they arrived, one had a hole in its head, not impressed with Petsolutions, they refunded me for 1 of them. I think saltwater comes from a distributor so they have no hands on control.

I really like their look but after that experience, if my LFS can't get them then I won't have any.

Aww, sorry about that.

Back
Top Bottom