My First SW Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

all4wheels2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I started with a 40 gallon acrylic tank (wish I would have gone larger, but oh well). Coming up on two months since setup, here's what I got so far:

43 lbs live/dry rock
30 lbs live sand
Coralife Aqualight 36" HO T5 (10,000K 39 watt, Actinic Blue 39 watt)
AquaClear 50 filter
Hydor Koralia Powerhead 425gph x 2
Aqueon Pro Heater 150 watt
...soon to add AquaMaxx HOB-1 protein skimmer

3 Nassarius Snails
4 Astraea Snails
3 Hermit Crabs
Six Line Wrasse
Ocellaris Clown x2
Firefish
Yellow Tang
Blue Tang

(all fish are 3 inches or less)

I also managed to get a mantis shrimp hitch hiking in my FIRST piece of live rock - hence, the base rock :banghead: Since I couldn't get rid of him (believe me, I tried) I decided to put him in his own tank. So..

20 gallon glass tank
20 lbs live sand
15 lbs live rock
AquaClear 20 filter
Aqueon Pro Heater 50 watt

Please tell me your thoughts/concerns...except for the tangs, I already know that concern. If I can keep them going for the next year and a halfish, I'm planning on getting a 200 gallon :brows:

Very nice. In a lot of ways your tank mirrors mine which has been up and running for 2 months now. Good luck.

I started with a 40 gallon acrylic tank (wish I would have gone larger, but oh well). Coming up on two months since setup, here's what I got so far:

43 lbs live/dry rock
30 lbs live sand
Coralife Aqualight 36" HO T5 (10,000K 39 watt, Actinic Blue 39 watt)
AquaClear 50 filter
Hydor Koralia Powerhead 425gph x 2
Aqueon Pro Heater 150 watt
...soon to add AquaMaxx HOB-1 protein skimmer

3 Nassarius Snails
4 Astraea Snails
3 Hermit Crabs
Six Line Wrasse
Ocellaris Clown x2
Firefish
Yellow Tang
Blue Tang

(all fish are 3 inches or less)

I also managed to get a mantis shrimp hitch hiking in my FIRST piece of live rock - hence, the base rock :banghead: Since I couldn't get rid of him (believe me, I tried) I decided to put him in his own tank. So..

20 gallon glass tank
20 lbs live sand
15 lbs live rock
AquaClear 20 filter
Aqueon Pro Heater 50 watt

Please tell me your thoughts/concerns...except for the tangs, I already know that concern. If I can keep them going for the next year and a halfish, I'm planning on getting a 200 gallon :brows:
I think that looks very nice. I like that the rock is higher on one side than the other, it makes it look more natural.:)

Looks great. Thoughts on your lights and filter? Going to be setting up a 30 and thinking of both of those. Also, did you add moon lights? If so, what did you use?

Thanks!

I like my lights and filter; they work great. No, I don't have moon lights, just actinic blue and the 10,000K lights - went with Coralife brand. My filter's pretty user-friendly and easy to clean - went with AquaClear brand.

all4wheels2 said:
I like my lights and filter; they work great. No, I don't have moon lights, just actinic blue and the 10,000K lights - went with Coralife brand. My filter's pretty user-friendly and easy to clean - went with AquaClear brand.

Carey suggested I look at the AquaClear 50, so that's great to hear you like it. Also like the Coralife. Looking at the 4 ballast T5 with the LEDS. More money but saves me doing the handiwork of adding moon lights! Thanks:)

Back
Top Bottom