My first SW tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sharkbait54 said:

Not sure. They say they are mostly safe for a few but I had problems with my emerald snipping zoa heads off. Now I have them growing in odd places were they landed. I have a crab now but only cause he was a hitchhiker and I never see his whole body. Just sticks a claw out and grabs food when I feed so I don't even know what it is. I like hermits and snails better personally

22engine said:
Not sure. They say they are mostly safe for a few but I had problems with my emerald snipping zoa heads off. Now I have them growing in odd places were they landed. I have a crab now but only cause he was a hitchhiker and I never see his whole body. Just sticks a claw out and grabs food when I feed so I don't even know what it is. I like hermits and snails better personally

Yea but hermits eat snails don't they? Also I have a few mushrooms that that are under some rocks in the shade how do I move them? Should I move them or just leave them?

Sharkbait54 said:
Yea but hermits eat snails don't they? Also I have a few mushrooms that that are under some rocks in the shade how do I move them? Should I move them or just leave them?

I only move things is they look unhappy. Hermits can but usually only do if they want there shell. I haven't had any problems.

Ok I've thought of a stock plan tell me what you think!

2x clowns
1x blue spot goby
1x coral banded shrimp
8xsnails
1x chalk bass
1x mandarin goby
1x Pygmy angel
1x porcelain crab

Convict2161 said:
Haha nice! Those stock fans are killer. Stock list looks good also.

Thanks I'm gonna take a gamble and put the angel with corals when I get them. My guy at the lfs said they are the least probable coral pickers.

Sharkbait54 said:
Thanks I'm gonna take a gamble and put the angel with corals when I get them. My guy at the lfs said they are the least probable coral pickers.

Good luck lemme know how it goes.

Ok just got home and there is alot of algae on the rock and sand and glass is this normal for a new tank or not?

Could it be I need more flow? I did top off with some purified bottled water could that be it?

Or will a good ole water change help

Attachments

• image-4249518775.jpg
    image-4249518775.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 74
Sharkbait54 said:
Ok just got home and there is alot of algae on the rock and sand and glass is this normal for a new tank or not?

Could it be I need more flow? I did top off with some purified bottled water could that be it?

Or will a good ole water change help

Diatom out break. It's a good thing. It will go away

Ok I've thought of a stock plan tell me what you think!

2x clowns
1x blue spot goby
1x coral banded shrimp
8xsnails
1x chalk bass
1x mandarin goby
1x Pygmy angel
1x porcelain crab

The two that concern me on this are the Mandarin and the Pygmy. That size tank isn't going to be enough to support the mandarin. They are notoriously picky eaters and need a HUGE pod population to support them. Unfortunately tons of them die because places will tell you they only need 30g, which is more based on their size and swimming habits. Unless you are going to be running pod farms on the side, I would steer clear.

The pygmy is the other slight concern. They are darty little fish and like to have room to explode in speed and swim. They do alright in biocubes and nanos, but definitely not the preferred environment. If possibly minimize your LR in the display side to allow the most open water for swimming. Not enough room to swim might cause certain dwarfs to pick at soft corals or be aggressive.

Also, make sure you have enough sand for the BSG to burrow and be happy, and double check your rock is secure on the bottom of the tank to prevent cave ins and death.

HTH.

Jimbo7 said:
The two that concern me on this are the Mandarin and the Pygmy. That size tank isn't going to be enough to support the mandarin. They are notoriously picky eaters and need a HUGE pod population to support them. Unfortunately tons of them die because places will tell you they only need 30g, which is more based on their size and swimming habits. Unless you are going to be running pod farms on the side, I would steer clear.

The pygmy is the other slight concern. They are darty little fish and like to have room to explode in speed and swim. They do alright in biocubes and nanos, but definitely not the preferred environment. If possibly minimize your LR in the display side to allow the most open water for swimming. Not enough room to swim might cause certain dwarfs to pick at soft corals or be aggressive.

Also, make sure you have enough sand for the BSG to burrow and be happy, and double check your rock is secure on the bottom of the tank to prevent cave ins and death.

HTH.

Thanks!

Ok the Pygmy is out I'll try to find something else!

Do you think I can do a royal gramma and chalk bass in this tank?

I would love to try least try to get a mandarin I will wait till I have enough pods I'm looking to wait at least 6 months after I start my fuge and introduce pods.

As for the goby there is about 2.5, 3 inches of sand but the power heads have moved most to the right side lol.

Sharkbait54 said:
Thanks!

Ok the Pygmy is out I'll try to find something else!

Do you think I can do a royal gramma and chalk bass in this tank?

I would love to try least try to get a mandarin I will wait till I have enough pods I'm looking to wait at least 6 months after I start my fuge and introduce pods.

As for the goby there is about 2.5, 3 inches of sand but the power heads have moved most to the right side lol.

Chalk bass and royal grammas are both in the basslet family, they will not coexist.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Chalk bass and royal grammas are both in the basslet family, they will not coexist.

I thought I'd ask lol.

How about a fire fish or two?

Or can any one recommend me a good fish to coexist with these guys that has good color!?

Sharkbait54 said:
Nunu how do you like your chalk bass?

He passed a few months ago, my first lost fish :/ he was awesome though, he just died from stress....

My advice to you is to get one if your tank is 30 gallons or under, they are amazing in small nano tanks. When i moved him to my 66 reef he was lost in te size of the tank and i think eventually died of stress from a marine betta and a 10" engineer goby. It was also hard for him to get food in the larger tank.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
He passed a few months ago, my first lost fish :/ he was awesome though, he just died from stress....

My advice to you is to get one if your tank is 30 gallons or under, they are amazing in small nano tanks. When i moved him to my 66 reef he was lost in te size of the tank and i think eventually died of stress from a marine betta and a 10" engineer goby. It was also hard for him to get food in the larger tank.

Oh I'm sorry!

Yes I saw him at the lfs and fell in love!

Diatoms I agree. A good thing. It will go away. Water changes and of it bothers you like it did me. Wipe it off with your fingers and get some snails and hermits in there.

Convict2161 said:
Diatoms I agree. A good thing. It will go away. Water changes and of it bothers you like it did me. Wipe it off with your fingers and get some snails and hermits in there.

Thanks convict I got 4 more snails the other day and I'm getting a porcelain crab on Thursday.

I also put my timer to turn the lights off an hour early.

Back
Top Bottom