My first SW tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait54

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just got my SW tank up and running just got the fish today acclimated fine. other than the goby stirring up the sand it's looking good.

Tell me what you think

Stock atm is

2x clowns
2x gobies
5x snails
1x coral banded shrimp

Attachments

• image-1890055530.jpg
    image-1890055530.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 481
  • image-2714758824.jpg
    image-2714758824.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 371
  • image-2035864542.jpg
    image-2035864542.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 436
  • image-1248333874.jpg
    image-1248333874.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 437
  • image-3290116226.jpg
    image-3290116226.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 404
  • image-4126043031.jpg
    image-4126043031.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 420
Looking good. By the picture I don't think that one of those goby is a yellow one. That may be why they get along. Also might wanna get some more snails. I see that hair algae in the pic

IMO get some more live rock in there, you got a lot of room to work with. How long has the tank been cycled for? I see some algae in there. You might wanna up your clean up crew member status to combat that. Get some hermit crabs, snails(assorted) and maybe a emerald crab.

Convict2161 said:
IMO get some more live rock in there, you got a lot of room to work with. How long has the tank been cycled for? I see some algae in there. You might wanna up your clean up crew member status to combat that. Get some hermit crabs, snails(assorted) and maybe a emerald crab.

It's atleast been a few weeks I believe. He has been pm Ing me the whole time. Guess you help teach me well cause people are asking my advise

Ya I've got a few more pieces of rock I don't have them completely submersed but the bucket they are in is still moist, will it be safe to add or should I rinse them off.

I asked about the hair algae and the guy at the lfs said to wait if my snails aren't cutting it then get more. One is a turbo snail btw.

I heard emerald crabs were aggressive toward corals? I wanna get some LEDs and add corals soon.

Convict2161 said:
I bought the LR,LS, and used half of the old tanks water.

What I did was transfer everything from one tank to another I just waited a week for it to settle down checked the perams and the. Added stock.

22engine said:
It's atleast been a few weeks I believe. He has been pm Ing me the whole time. Guess you help teach me well cause people are asking my advise

Oh ok... lol. I'm not needed anymore. I have passed the torch lol. Good stuff though. Glad everything is going well. And remember I just helped along the way brother. That masterpiece of a tank is all you.

Sharkbait54 said:
Ya I've got a few more pieces of rock I don't have them completely submersed but the bucket they are in is still moist, will it be safe to add or should I rinse them off.

I asked about the hair algae and the guy at the lfs said to wait if my snails aren't cutting it then get more. One is a turbo snail btw.

I heard emerald crabs were aggressive toward corals? I wanna get some LEDs and add corals soon.

Emeralds can be, that's why put him in now and then remove him when he cleans the house. I had 2 for awhile then took them out.

I guess you can wait. I'm impatient so I'd have that thing packed with CUC members lol.

Also the live rock should be kept wet if you want it to keep whatever beneficial is left. How about just adding it in now? It's not gonna hurt anything. And it won't hurt if you left it out and it dried out.

You know some people buy live rock and intentionally set it out for weeks in the sun to kill off anything that may be on it. Why you might ask?

So there are no unwanted hitchhikers. But I've learned you can get hitchhikers even on a frag plug from the LFS or a mixed coral rock. I had a nice mushroom rock that started growing Aptasia so I tossed the rock and just threw the mushrooms back in the tank.

Sounds good I'll add some more!

I was just afraid it was gonna spike ammonia or magically kill all my fish lol.

My biocube filter pad keeps getting clogged with sand a d debris is that normal?

Anywho my intank media rack and media should get here tomorrow!

Sharkbait54 said:
My biocube filter pad keeps getting clogged with sand a d debris is that normal?

Anywho my intank media rack and media should get here tomorrow!

That's one reason the stock filtration stinks. You'll like the inTank stuff much better.

Convict2161 said:
That's one reason the stock filtration stinks. You'll like the inTank stuff much better.

Def like the inTank better. When my shipment gets here today I am switching my order to convicts way of

Filter floss
Purigen
Phosquard in the media rack and hanging purigen bag in the first chamber or where the sponge use to be haven't decided yet.

Sweet mine should get here today also.

I also got some chemi pure. So it will be

Filter floss, purigen, chemi pure, and I guess I'll do like 22 and let the phosguard hang from where the P.O.S stock filter pad is!

Sharkbait54 said:
Sweet mine should get here today also.

I also got some chemi pure. So it will be

Filter floss, purigen, chemi pure, and I guess I'll do like 22 and let the phosguard hang from where the P.O.S stock filter pad is!

I'm putting the phosguard in the bottom of the media basket. I am not really sure it matters though. I might not. You have to change the phosguard more often then the chemi pure.

Convict2161 said:
I run from the top. Filter floss,purigen and then phosguard. Chamber 1 is chemi pure elite.
Then that I shall do. Filter floss gets pretty dirty fast too correct, how often should I change the other media?

I'm glad to see all the fish are doing good. Except it's still cloudy I did change the filter pad last night. In very anxious to get the intank rack, this filtration is not cutting it!

Also I bought a powers strip and some timers last night. It goes atinics at 8am 10k and 9am then 10k off at 7 atinics off at 8pm that's ok?

Just noticed my turbo snail hasn't moved since last night. Is that normal? I pulled him out but he didn't smell bad.

Lights sound fine. Mine go on at 7am and ramps up to peak at noon then back down until 8 then moonlights till 3am. Total darkness from 3am-7am.

I wouldn't worry about the snail.

Oh and the filter floss I change 2x's a week. It does get dirty fast. But sometimes I notice it doesn't get that bad. My 8 gallon gets nasty.

On the subject of BC29, I also clean the glass everyday when I get home.

Convict2161 said:
Lights sound fine. Mine go on at 7am and ramps up to peak at noon then back down until 8 then moonlights till 3am. Total darkness from 3am-7am.

I wouldn't worry about the snail.

Ok tanks.

Is it ok to leave my moonlights on all night? It has the stock moonlights which is the 3 lights across the top the middle hasn't work since I got it. It throws out very little light.

Back
Top Bottom