My new tank mates.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well i finally got my tank cycled and up and running right. So we went out today and bought a few additions here they are...

1 Britle star hard to see.

or55co.jpg

or5ljo.jpg

We bought a tile full of mushrooms and I took them off the tile and placed them around the tank. We also got 2 hemits on the tile and some feather dusters, I dont think they will live though cause we dont have the right lighting for them from what I am told. Here are some pics.

or5bo1.jpg

or5edc.jpg

or5en9.jpg

or5evk.jpg

We also got 2 more turbo snails.

or5fcz.jpg

And a Peppermint Shrimp

or5kjs.jpg

or5krd.jpg

Good start!

Feather dusters do not require high lighting, they are filter feeders. Mushrooms require some lighting, but are on the real low end.

What about the britle star? We are going to get another light today so our total watts will be about 112 it wll be 2 10,000K bulbs and 2 03 actinic bulbs and they are T5 setups from coralife. I hope this will be enough for anemone's later down the road. What do you guys think?

The picture looked more like a serpent star? It may like meaty bits of fish presented on a skewer.

What size tank is it?

Its a 50 gallon tank. I am not sure what kind of star it is but I just fed it brine shrimp and it ate them. I will look it up on here and see if I can find what one it is. It is buleish green with yellow spikes on it. Whats a skewer? Do I need to feed the shrimp if so what do I feed it?

Here is a better pic of the star...

oswlrc.jpg

Also here is my tank if you wanted to see. Planning on putting more LR here shortly.

oswlzc.jpg

Shimp will eat all kind of little debris. Watch him for a bit. If he's finding plenty of stuff on the live rock to shove into his mouth, don't bother feeding him. If he doesn't seem to be finding anything, a small pinch of fish food will help him out.

Skewer: A stick normally used for cooking food. It's just a suggested method. It can be an entertaining way to feed carnivorous creatures, you can move the skewer around to emulate the movement of live prey in the water, and watch them attack it and pull the meat off the stick. You also have the option of pulling it back out if no-one seems to like it, so uneaten food doesn't rot.

I fed the star brine shrimp in a seringe type thing and it got everywhere but he did like it.

The green brittle star can become aggressive as it gets bigger and is commonly reported as being a fish eater. I'd give it a bit more than a few brine. It needs chunky foods. I'd get some frozen krill, silversides or table shrimp and give it portions of one or the other often. Any small fish may be at risk with this starfish.

Ok, I have been looking online and no one says the temperment of the green brittle star. However, at the LFS when I mentioned I had one in my tank, they were like 'oh no!' He looked up in the marine fish book and it says they are the most vicious star!! I have noticed it is trying to get a hold of our damsel. Also, we are getting a true percula and a anemone, so will it try and eat those? Should we just take it back to the store?

I would return it. They are great stars in a more aggressive preditory tank. Maybe they would swap it for a red or black or maybe a serpent star. It's only the green ones who are considered aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom