Nano tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hellaasian

Aquarium Advice Freak
Starting my first 10 gal reef tank all i need now is lighting

image-412603244.jpg

Thanks yep first needa buy a light for growing coral than a better filtration system a eater and a protein skimmer

So any help would be helpful this is my first saltwater tank me and my gf just started today spent 100$ on live sand live rock and saltwater

Would be happy to answer the questions I can if you have any and I know a lot of other knowledgeable/experienced people would love to also.

I bought the saltwater that had beneficial bacteria that was already ready to use and half of premixed saltwater from my aquarium store

Do you know if the water is RO water or RO/DI? What will you be topping the evaporated water with? Strongly discourage you from using tap water b/c of the TDS (total dissolved solids), and all those unknowns. If least get distilled water w/ no salt mixed in. What happens is when the water evaporates, the salt is left behind, raising the salinity. If you added more saltwater to make of for the evaporated water, you'd slowly raise your salinity and possibly kill your corals/inverts and maybe your fish if it got too high. You don't breed them. They just populate your tank so fast if you add some live rock. I had all base rock and got mine from macroalgae in my refugium. They got sucked up to the DT and covered so much of the glass. Nice treats for the fish too!

Whn i bought it it can in a 4.4 gal jug that had beneficial bacteria and i think it was RO and yea i know my lfs has water jugs that i can buy to top off the water when it evaporates. Im planning one having a high population of copepods for a food source

For a 10g, you really don't need a protein skimmer. As long as you do regular water changes, you should be fine without it. Save the money, there's plenty of corals you could buy instead with that money. :)

Because its going to be a high intensity light for coral growth

Water cleared up getting one more big live rock this weekend
image-2515779221.jpg

hellaasian said:
Water cleared up getting one more big live rock this weekend

It's a 10 gallon, don't over do it with the rock. If it were me I'd break that rock and place a piece on each side of the tank. Where are you thinking of placing the next piece?

Is that your finished scape?

Convict2161 said:
It's a 10 gallon, don't over do it with the rock. If it were me I'd break that rock and place a piece on each side of the tank. Where are you thinking of placing the next piece?

Is that your finished scape?

+1. Agree- that's a large piece of rock for a 10g. Take a hammer to that (with goggles on of course), and break it into 2-3 smaller pieces. If you get more rock, don't get large, get 2-3 medium sized pieces. Then stack them so that there are caves and crevices for the fish to hide in.

Ima just get a mediumsize rock and place it in the left corner

Back
Top Bottom