New 210 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea I'm stoked on the tank...selling sump and skimmer for $300 so I got the whole setup for free lol..picking up a 125 gal tank for a sump and a bubble Magnus skimmer...now I gotta figure out a baffle setup for the sump

I'd skip the "Terminator 2" from Deltec. They don't even make it any more. I saw one review that stated the Coralife Super Skimmer 125 did a better job. Which BM did you end up with?

I got the BM 220A...should be here by the end of week hopefully...wife has put a timeframe for me to get the tank up and running so I can get the 55gal FOWLR out of her kitchen lol...also got 6 30lbs bags of dry aragonite and am going to get another 6 bags of live sand to go over those...also ordered a box (the 200 gal one) of reef salts...I still need to baffle the 125 gal tank for use as a sump and buy a bulkhead fitting for the return (looking for the adjustable nozzles that go on the end of return pipe..can't remember for the life of me the proper name for them) and do the plumbing...should I just do ball valves on return and overflow to sump? I don't want a catastrophe if the power goes out...is there something I can get to prevent that other than ball valves or should I get those in addition to anything?

Also was thinking of putting egg crate on the bottom of the tank to have that extra security if some live rock ends up being dislodged ...not sure where to buy that or if that's the right terminology for the plastic grating...I've been having a heck of a time trying to get the hard water stains off of inside glass too from a step ladder (tank is on stand and have no help to get it off to take outside to make cleaning easier)

Is playsand good for tanks. Heard it might not be good but not sure. New to aquqriums only 3 month but already up to 7 tanks got tons of babies going on I am finding it really enjoyable hobby

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't want a catastrophe if the power goes out...is there something I can get to prevent that other than ball valves or should I get those in addition to anything?

You can add a check valve to the return line. I suggest the clear ones that have removable ends. It allows you to see when it is getting time to clean and the ends coming off make cleaning easy.

image-4181702976.jpg

Also was thinking of putting egg crate on the bottom of the tank to have that extra security if some live rock ends up being dislodged ...not sure where to buy that or if that's the right terminology for the plastic grating..

Everyone calls it egg crate, but it is sold in the lighting section at places like Lowes or Home Depot.

I have never used any of that eggcrate on the bottom of my tanks and never had a problem. If you are putting sand on the bottom that's plenty of a safety barrier.

Update: tank is outside and getting buffed to lessen some scratches on the inside glass and getting rid of some pesky hard water stains and back glass is getting painted black...there is only one overflow so I am having a HOB overflow put in on the other side so I can make sure tank will drain effectively into sump...got 8 40lb bags of aragonite live sand for $80 and decided on a 5"-6" deep sand bed to help with filtration...125 gal tank for sump doesn't fit well underneath cabinet so doing a dual acrylic sump setup instead connected with bulkheads...I now have about 400lbs of live rock to use for the 225 gal tank that is almost fully cured and 180 gallons of ready to go saltwater to fill tank.

Also just found out ATB skimmers are made here in my hometown and I can get a awesome deal for being a local...anyone use ATB skimmers and how do they stack up compared to others...the bubble Magnus is a copy of ATB skimmers so I'm assuming they are good skimmers...going over to meet the owner thurs and talk shop

Skip the HOB overflow...I would look into drilling the other side and putting another overflow in. Having anything that could clog and loose siphon isn't worth the effort, especially when you are already halfway there with one drilled overflow.

How many, and what size drains are in the existing overflow? You might not need a second. Still, I agree with Hank. No HOB!
I don't have experience with ATB skimmers, but just make sure the pump pulls a lot of air. They should be able to tell you how many LPH air it pulls.
Also, make sure the skimmer is rated for at least 1.5 x your total tank volume. 2 times if you can afford it.

I'll have to measure the existing overflow holes when I get home...I've personally never drilled a tank before so I would have to either do a ton of research first or pay someone to drill an install a overflow corner box for me...so hob overflow is sketchy?

People have used them for years with no trouble, but I don't like relying on a siphon when gravity is an option. I've had them fail to restart after a power outage and I'll never have one again.
With a HOB overflow you will need to match it perfectly with the correct gph pump. I don't see how you will be able to do this with an existing overflow already there.
Drilling glass is a piece of cake. After you've done it, you'll be shaking your head at yourself for the hesitation. Go to glass holes.com and check out their videos. They also have everything you need to do the job.

I still think if this is a standard tank that the single overflow is probably all you need. What make you think you will need more?

If you have sufficient gph from your current overflow, you'll be fine. Did you figure out the size and amount of drains inside it?

Back
Top Bottom