New pics, feeding, and my Humbug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stuquarium

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey guys,

firstly here's a few pic's of my new addition the butterfly fish. the tank's front glass needs cleaning, so please forgive the mess.
butterfly1.jpg
butterfly2.jpg

a few questions too... 1. how should i be feeding the butterfly brocoli? i've been having trouble getting him to eat since his arrival, but he has taken to brocoli, i've just cute of a small stem and placed it between rocks for him to nibble at. how do you feed brocoli?

also i'm finding that my humbug damsel is getting more and more aggresive as time goes on, and i don't know what to do about it. when i 1st got him he was fine, but not he's darting around the tank attacking everyone, nipping at the blue damesel and even taking on the clowns from time to time, and yes has a nip at the butterfly fish too.

should i give him away? sell him on, see if any LFS will take him? i can't take him back because he came with the tank that a bought off a friend, who i don't see often enough to find out where he got them from.

Attachments

• butterfly1.jpg
    butterfly1.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 27
The butterfly is a Chaetodon vagabundud or Vagabond butterfly. It is a pretty hardy addition once the challenge of acclimation and feeding have be met. Main diet should consist of meaty foods like mysis or enriched brine, krill, clams etc. Soak the food in a garlic product like Garlic Extreme and add some supplements like selcon or vita-chem. Cyclop-eeze is another food to try. What size tank do you have? This is one of the larger butterflies and requires some swimming space...minimum tank size is suggested 100gals. It is also not reef safe and will nip at soft and LPS corals. The aggression issues with the damsel are not likely to decrease. Finding alternative housing is a good idea.

thanks lando,

i will try that, at my LFS there was sum mysis shrimp frozen, with some marine green, i took home the marine green instead, looks like i'll have to go back and get the mysis stuff too.

here's another thing for ya,
at night when i witch the lights off the percula clowns i have go to the surface and just bob thier head up and down, swiming close together, swiming with the current. is this normal? or are they telling me somethings wrong? pnce i turn the lights back on, they are fine, they swim away and do other things...

Pretty normal clown behavior...they are weird fish. Nothing to worry about.

i had a feeling it might of been as they are both doing it.

thanks again lando, trying to find a new home for the humbug now.

Back
Top Bottom