Pink Algae???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tchampion

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
While cleaning out my nuisance-filled 75g Hexagon Saltwater Reef tank today, I stumbled upon something that looks like algae, but behaves like a living species. I was scrubbing some of the red-slime off of my rock when I found this piece about the diameter of a soda can. When I originally looked at it, it appeared to have tiny spikes (almost like a coral) that were barely visible. When I took it out of the water, and touched it, the "spikes" retracted immediately. It was very soft to the touch, and also slimy. I decided not to remove it from the rock (until I find out what it is). The location of this rock is in a dimly lit area of my Hexagon tank. I have a 14K metal halide light running over the tank. Is there anyone out there that can recognize or identify what this is. If its an algae, wouldn't it detach from the rock as soon as I placed it in front of my powerhead? From my experience, algae will attach to rock, but not at the point where it latches and becomes one with the rock. Its somewhat thicker than your typical algae as well.
Below is a picture of what I am dealing with. If the picture isnt good enough, I'm wiliing to take another and send it as a personal email, so that you can zoom in, crop it, and anything else that you need to get a better look.

Thanks in advance,
Tim C

image-427362937.jpg

image-469777426.jpg

Looks like it could be pink sponge. Sponge will
Tend to grow on the underside of stuff, as most don't need any light.

I was leaning towards a "sponge", but I have never seen anything like this before. Is is safe to say this this isn't an Algae?

Yes, I don't think it's algea. I have pink sponge in a few spots, in my tank. Under a Zooanthid colony, and under some rock overhangs.
It should be fine.

Flreefer said:
Yes, I don't think it's algea. I have pink sponge in a few spots, in my tank. Under a Zooanthid colony, and under some rock overhangs.
It should be fine.

Thanks... I will keep an eye on it as it progresses over the next few months. Any question how it got inside my tank? Maybe some residual left over on some of the Live Rock that I purchased? Something I introduced into the tank?

So many things sprout up in salt tanks its amazing. It is often hard to tell how they got there, just be happy it's beneficial and not detrimental!
Could have been just a few spores on anything new you bought, or residual from your rock, like you said.
Good luck with your tank!

Back
Top Bottom