ptbmaniac's RSM 250 Adventure!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ptbmaniac

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I figure that it is time to start my tank thread! I am so excited as this has been 10 years in the making. I still have a little more work to do on the floor before I can get my tank up and running. It is hard to do anything quick as I have suffered a pretty bad back injury so this hobby is perfect for me as it is also slow going. I guess I will start with everything that I have purchased. It should be enough to get going.The tank is a Red Sea Max 250. I have not set it up yet,but I do know that I have a scrape on my stand. Should be no big deal as I can just spray paint it. I already had "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist 1st Edition" and "Reef Invertebrates:An Essential guide to selection,care,and compatibility". I also purchased "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist 2nd Edition". I have subscriptions to every aquarium magazine that I could find and my wife and I also joined a local Reef Club. Should be good to go with that kind of thing as I also Frequent this website and others. Question will definitely be asked.This might be in random order but I am going to list everything that I have purchased so far. As for equipment I have purchased Steve's Leds 95% complete upgrade kit with the typhon/case/6 ft extention.*http://shop.stevesleds.com/Red-Sea-M...Redsea-250.htmand the Intank media basket*http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Red-Sea...t-RSM250MR.htm*with filter floss pads, CPE and Purigen.I have multiple battery backup pumps,hosing,and airstones, with a couple battery backup power sources to be added later! I also purchased a digital thermometer and a portable refractometer.As for testing supplies I have purchased Hanna checkers Colorimeter sethttp://www.marinedepot.com/Hanna_Ins...TEMOID-vi.html*for Phosphate,Alkalinity,Calcium,and PH. I also bought a Salifert Magnesium test kit and an API Saltwater test kit for early on.For acclimation I bought the Reef Gently AccliMate kit in both sizes.http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=20398*I have also picked up multiple types of nets and tongs.As for additives to start with I purchased the Marine Pro Kit XLhttp://store.acrylictankmanufacturin...de=ATM%2DMPKXL*and Purple Up. I will get other stuff as I need it later on.I have ordered 3 bags of Caribsea Aragonite Seaflor special grade sand and I am going to get around 80 to 95 lbs of mixed base rock and live rock. I will also be purchasing pre-mixed water from the LFS because I have no access to a sink to hook up an rodi unit which totally sucks.So for now that is where I am at.

I have had nothing but problems trying to install Steve's leds in the hood. Waiting to hear back from them to figure out about sending the hood in for them to fix it. They are supposed to take 3 hours to install,but it took 4 of us over 20 hours in a 4 day span and could not get anything to work. I hope we didn't blow something else. I hope it won't cost much. If I go a different direction I might just leave the top off and get a couple AI Sols.

Well the tank is out of the box and on the stand! Its a small step,but it's a start! I will start hooking up the component tomorrow and take some pics. I am just too tired and in too much pain to do it tonight. I can only do things in small amounts of time before the pain gets really bad. Anyway I should hear something tomorrow about the lights and then have to make the decision on if I want to send in the hood or go a different direction.

It is supposed to be a reef tank,but I guess it is now a catfish tank! She is going to love watching all the colorful fish when the tank is running and stocked!

img_2678108_0_984db173fa347661ad55b6a25c89f92e.jpg

3 1/2 inches of sand make the 50lbs of base rock look like nothing! I hope the 45lbs of live rock that come tomorrow will fill it in a bit! I need the deep sand for a yellow watchman and yellow headed jawfish later on.

img_2681583_0_c3573d36f43e4f24d9d651e5a6d15b00.jpg

Tank is up and running other than than hood that has to be sent out. Pics will come tomorrow! Hopefully the water clears up a bit overnight. I am so excited! Now time to wait out the cycle!

First pic is from the front, 2nd is from the right side. Still not a fan of the look but it could be worse!

img_2684082_0_fa7a1ebc269b14bd5f3ad534fc7d7393.jpg

img_2684082_1_1e15ceb818dee65a8ff217edad518035.jpg

How's the tank going I just got my RSM 250 about a week ago. Watching to see how ur doing with it too see what I could do with mine. Did u get the led to work cause I'm thinking of getting them? Did u change the skimmer? I know I'm going to do that first. Too many neg things about it so rather just change it before I have a problem with it.

The cycle has been very weird! I have had little to no ammonia spike,but the nitrite and nitrate are very high! I figure that it will be a slow cycle which is common in SW tanks. As for the lights,I finally sent in the hood and let them fix it. There actually was something wrong with the controller. I had to pay another $251 with return shipping,but now I know they will work. As for the skimmer,I have not changed it. I ordered a sump from the Lifereef and that comes with a better skimmer,but I am on the list for a May delivery so I will be using the stock skimmer until then. There are actually a lot of people that have had no problems using the tank without modding anything. I originally was only going to change out the media basket and the lights,but peer pressure got to me. I just bought a MP10 for more flow because the middle of the tank was kind of a dead zone. I also got 2 spin streams to help with the flow. I will post some new pics soon.

Sorry that there have been no updates!!! I am having nothing but trouble with this tank!!! I got the hood back,but it will not sit flush because of the cords from the leds so nothing is lining up!!! I have spent almost $4000 on this tank and I an having no luck with it! I wish I would have just pieced together a 65 gallon tank! I would not have had this much issues with it!!!

The cycle is almost complete!!! It has been a very weird cycle but it is almost done! I am going to wait another week or so to do the water change and then I will start thinking about a CUC! So excited!!!

img_2720208_0_2d4024def3fc9ccc5ec7e4cc30a68b57.jpg

So today I have installed the spin streams,the MP10,and got the leds hooked up!!! I am only running them at 50% to start off with. I still won't have any corals for a while. Everything is finally starting to come together!

img_2720210_0_23c0cba33d29bbcf4b3251b60f8cc2ba.jpg

Having nothing but problems!!! I can't keep the temps down so I have no choice,but get a chiller. Any advise on size and brand? I know the manual says 1/5 hp,but should I get 1/4 hp or is smaller ok? Also I know jbj arctica seems to be the favorite,but is their a cheaper brand that is just as good?

What have you done to lower the temp? You can try adding a small fan over the sump to move some air, obviously turn the thermostat down. Not that you won't need a chiller but I would try cheaper routes before spending the money on a chiller. Money better well spent on corals IMO

I just purchased some eheim compact 3000's to replace the stock pumps. I do know now that pump 1 was causing the majority of the heat. I currently have pump 1 and the skimmer unplugged and the temps are down. I won't have the sump until April or atleast that is where I am on the list on LifeReef right now. I am having major problems with skimmer and that is the reason it is unplugged. It just keeps filling up with water no matter how I have it adjusted. I think I am just going to go skimmerless until I get the sump. It just means extra water changes and more work. I am hoping that the new pumps will keep the temps in the safe zone as I really do not want to get a chiller. And you are right, I would rather use the money on corals and stuff.

Ok I have replaced both main pumps with eheim compact 3000's! The temps have been under 80 since unplugging pump 1 and the skimmer. Hopefully the temps stay good so I can get some life in the tank!

Ok so after 2 days with the new pumps the temp is at 84.7. Not goung to win this battle so I am going to try to move on. Going to add a CUC!

Back
Top Bottom