Salt Water Startup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Diatoms can be caused by silicates. If you use tap water with a high amount of silicates odds are diatoms will pop up pretty fast. Luckily they go away as fast as they show up.

Well if I do not clean it, on the sides it builds up pretty fast and thick. easy to clean off but wide spread and it gets pretty dark.

All of my top off water has been treated.

treated with what?

does it look like this?
img_1013396_0_75e17f4bbd23f48f6cdc332ee4a517e6.jpg

Just a multi purpose water conditioner.

The Algae looks sort of like that but I don't have any on the rocks just the glass

A multi purpose water cleaner doesn't always remove silicates. I'd check. If not, perhaps look into an RO filter.

I will post a picture in a few hours of my Algae. If it is caused by silicates then i will do what it takes to fix the problem.

It has started to grown between the glass and the substrate...

i just got them too, I'm just going to clean the glass and do a light cleaning on the substrate until they burn themselves out

Here it is..

Attachments

• IMG_4671.jpg
    IMG_4671.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4672.jpg
    IMG_4672.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4674.jpg
    IMG_4674.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 58
Both of you are correct. They shed or molt their exoskeleton.

I leave mine (mag float) in the tank all the time as well. I find that it doesn't get every bit of algae. You may need to go over it a few times to get all the algae. Even after going over it, there may still be some left over, use a razor blade to scrape this off.

If you do have high silicates and you dont have an RO/DI unit yet you can use PhosBan to lower the levels for now. Just put it in a media sock and stick that in an hob filter on the sump

Zac's info is good stuff. I have found that Nirite snails also help. Watch your PWC and don't use chemical additives if possible. Good water quility and feeding should correct the problem. in time it will burn itself out.

I leave mine (mag float) in the tank all the time as well. I find that it doesn't get every bit of algae. You may need to go over it a few times to get all the algae. Even after going over it, there may still be some left over, use a razor blade to scrape this off.

Yeah, I bought a brush like the use at the LFS and I use that on occasion if the mag doesnt get something because it works well but there are inaccessable places where the LR is too close to the glass.

got the mag and it works really well! Some places are hard to get at such as the back and where the LR is close to the glass

Well My tank has come to a sudden halt.
I've decided to stop giving my local marine shop my buisness after this weekend. The only person who works at this store is the owner, he never acknowledges you presence, never says hi, never offer help or advice and when you ask him any type of question it's a one word answer like he doesn't give two Sh*ts. I been to this store a total of about 10 times over the course of the last few weeks and every time it's the same thing over and over. I'm not the only one with this problem as I was speaking to a few peopke outside of the store.

Now I'm left trying to find another shop that has good stock near me.

This is my rant!

Well My tank has come to a sudden halt.
I've decided to stop giving my local marine shop my buisness after this weekend. The only person who works at this store is the owner, he never acknowledges you presence, never says hi, never offer help or advice and when you ask him any type of question it's a one word answer like he doesn't give two Sh*ts. I been to this store a total of about 10 times over the course of the last few weeks and every time it's the same thing over and over. I'm not the only one with this problem as I was speaking to a few peopke outside of the store.

Now I'm left trying to find another shop that has good stock near me.

This is my rant!

Ugh, I know what it feels like but luckily I have 2 LFS and have made my choice to stick to one of them, good luck finding another!

Back
Top Bottom