Scott's 55 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol I haven't talked about generators.. I think that Josh posted in the wrong thread on accident. :)

Anyways, I think my duncan is dead from the BTA sting. Good news is it appears he has settled now.

And I can't find the baby shroom today. hmm.

Finally, SUCCESS! I put the zoa rock with attached condy nem in my sump. I thought he would move because the light isn't as strong in there. It worked. :)

Condy and sea cucumber in QT tank now, awaiting their trip back to the LFS tomorrow.

I will sleep easier.

I feel your pain. I have 4 BTA moving around:(
I keep moving frags out of their way. All I can do I wait until the decide to settle and build the tank around them.

Very nice. Glad you were able to get the condy out.

Me too! Thanks!

Why didn't you like the sea cucumber? Did it always get stuck in the overflow?

Yes. That time made 5 times. Lucky I paid close attention or I would've had an overheated pump. I tried putting some egg crate on the overflow tube, but he's a worm basically. He squeezed through it. I am taking him back because of that problem and because I think he is starving in my tank competing with snails for food.

Following!

Thank you.

I feel your pain. I have 4 BTA moving around:(
I keep moving frags out of their way. All I can do I wait until the decide to settle and build the tank around them.

Yeah, ouch. None of them have settled? Mine was settled for months. Only got up and moved after the clowns started hosting. If mine splits, will it be cool to give the second one away? I only want them one nem since my clowns are hosting. But I don't know if this would stress the clowns or the first original nem.

Returned the anemone and cucumber. Picked up a finger leather, bubble coral, and mushroom rock.

They had some nice stuff there I want to get. I think they finally decided they have to start getting nice things lol. I want this red open brain, two acros, and a monti cap that they have. The chalice also looks nice.

Anyways, pictures when they open up!

Not long back I upgraded my 2bulb T5 to a 4bulb T5. When making the decision to buy the aquaticlife 4bulb my other choice was two of those lights. I wish I would have went that way with the lights. With them not only a more powerful light but if you ever want to go with a 6 foot tank you will only need to buy one more. Good choice!

Very nice!! Make sure you post a picture when you get them all set up and turned on. I bet they light the tank very nicely.

Thanks! I'll post a picture of them on but won't leave them on full blast any longer than to take a picture. mr_x instructed me to use 3-4 layers of window screen and peel off a layer a week to get my corals acclimated to the new intense lighting. I'll probably put them 6-8 inches above the water.

Not long back I upgraded my 2bulb T5 to a 4bulb T5. When making the decision to buy the aquaticlife 4bulb my other choice was two of those lights. I wish I would have went that way with the lights. With them not only a more powerful light but if you ever want to go with a 6 foot tank you will only need to buy one more. Good choice!

Thanks! Yeah, I am due for changing of my bulbs. My reasoning for going with the LED was more power, less energy, and ~50,000 hours use time!

scottayy said:
Thanks! I'll post a picture of them on but won't leave them on full blast any longer than to take a picture. mr_x instructed me to use 3-4 layers of window screen and peel off a layer a week to get my corals acclimated to the new intense lighting. I'll probably put them 6-8 inches above the water.

Thanks! Yeah, I am due for changing of my bulbs. My reasoning for going with the LED was more power, less energy, and ~50,000 hours use time!

I learn something new everyday about saltwater reef keeping. :)

I hate you!!! Your tank looks fantastic and if you ever come home and don't see your maroon clowns just remember there is no place named wisconsin. Hehehehe hahahaha hohohoho lmao

scottayy said:

Hey scottayy thats exactly what i did! Haha i used some regular metal screen an i folded it up a few times and put it under the light. Unfolded it once every few days (4-5) and everything worked out great :) i upgraded from power compacts to t5 lighting so it was a good change and everything turned out fine an dandy. :D

Buffy don't steal my clownfish :( i luvz them lol.
Glad to know the folding the screen works!

Here's some pictures of the corals I bought yesterday. They didn't open up yesterday.. probably because I dipped them? Anyways they are open today!

mushroom rock
img_1904085_0_e85787af8559f58650474ad9c44c1585.jpg

bubble coral
img_1904085_1_96746e4cd06e6b6e2142de7278d953a1.jpg

finger leather
img_1904085_2_12cd3da2f6c68ca457592d64d49226fb.jpg

The finger leather is my favorite. I'll have to move him around a bit.. I don't like the way he's positioned. And I think he's getting blown over from the flow.. or hasn't fully expanded yet.

Oh that was cool. Fed a formula two frozen cube to my fish, saw the clownfish run and grab a piece and bring it back to the BTA and drop it off. Is that normal, or did he perhaps drop it in there by accident?

No he will feed it. I had one that would rip up any shrimp in the tank and stuff it in whatever it's hoisting

Back
Top Bottom