Scott's 55 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's cool the fish fed him. How are your maroon's doing? They picky or anything? That's the kind I am planning on getting, the yellow striped ones. Sweet looking pictures. Am glad you can post, I can't post any pictures, I haven't even gotten a response to my thread about the errors I'm getting. Oh well I guess I will have to live and suffer through your pictures. Clowns please???? LOL

P.S. Thanks for the idea of the screen, I have 2 bulbs to replace and am waiting to transfer everyone, I have some of that in the garage. Awesome idea!!!!

They are doing good. They never leave the anemone but they came out today to get some food and then went right back. Aren't bothering anything or anyone.

I'll get more pictures for ya :)

Aweeeeeeeeee you're sweet, I'm gonna break a tear or 3. :) Thanks for pics, I have not a clue why I can't post a single one. I deleted 3/4ths of what I had used up of space and it still won't let me. :-(

scottayy said:
Buffy don't steal my clownfish :( i luvz them lol.
Glad to know the folding the screen works!

Here's some pictures of the corals I bought yesterday. They didn't open up yesterday.. probably because I dipped them? Anyways they are open today!

mushroom rock

bubble coral

finger leather

The finger leather is my favorite. I'll have to move him around a bit.. I don't like the way he's positioned. And I think he's getting blown over from the flow.. or hasn't fully expanded yet.

+1 Thanks for the screen idea.
That bubble coral looks great. Any tips on taking care of one. Mine is dying.

Really I don't know much about any corals care lol. I just keep the water good and they take care of themselves.

My duncan corals 5 heads on the left finally opened back up after being closed like 4 days. Relief!

img_1908556_0_5510dbe3e6a0283de1b3769d6240778d.jpg

This wait for lights really sucks.
I guess it's just because i'm majorly anticipating them (and i'm a fish nerd).
Two more days.

Got my lights.

They are very well packaged and suprisingly solid. They're about 10 lbs each. I don't know if my canopy will support that (I used quarter inch wood on the top) for hanging. The fans blow good air, the hanging kit is nice, and the lights are extremely bright.

Got them hung. I put a 1x2 across the top and middle of my canopy for added strength. Drilled a pilot hole and put two J hooks with nuts in there. The hanging wires that came with the lights are a bit too long for my canopy so I had to make my own.

They're hung six inches above the water. I will move them up to 8 or 10 inches tomorrow. I will also straighten them out (I just wanted to get them up tonight!). Looks crappy though. Oh well, nobody will see them. :D

Hanging:
img_1915630_0_534833bd2a3142f08562128712514793.jpg

Whites:
img_1915630_1_47fc1745a79841c8033b12aaf48fe562.jpg

Blues:
img_1915630_2_ba9e0abe66ec72789a6e0889299aed5d.jpg

Whites & Blues:
img_1915630_3_28248488cec0723533aa1e2c026cb434.jpg

What I like: Just about everything! But maybe these lights are TOO powerful. I know I'll have to raise them and acclimate the corals for a while.

What I disklike: The fans are easily the loudest part of my system. But if it keeps them cool and lasting long then it's no big deal.

For comparison, here is my 4 bulb t5 fixture when it was brand new.

White & Blues (the rocks were super white and new in this picture):
img_1915630_4_1433445a9b37cbf88ee2bb8be366b423.jpg

EDIT| My camera colors are way off. Doesn't do them justice. The white & blue mode is not THAT blue. And they're way brighter than the picture shows. Almost too bright to comfortably look at. Will definitely have to raise them.

Lights straightened out and raised to 10". 3 layers of window screen on top of the tank. Let the light acclimation begin!

Here's a video I took. The corals seem to love it even with the 3 layers of window screen. My stressed BTA even opened up a little more after only a couple of hours under the lights. And they are cool to the touch.

These are just the blues on.

Click picture to play video:

I think three rolls of window screen is too much. My blue mushroom is standing up as high as he can reach.

He's the only one not happy though. Should I wait until my Sunday water change to remove a layer or do it now?

Back
Top Bottom