Scott's DIY 10 Gallon Nano Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reefrocks sells a quality product but their shipping sucks. :-( I ordered my sand from them and it took forever. I also had my girlfriend order too and it took like 3 weeks. So buckle down, you're in for a wait. lol

Rocks came, replaced the old rocks. Put a few of the old ones in the sump to keep some BB. Found the yellow goby skeleton.. really don't know what happened there. Anyways, ready for corals after I make sure the water stays stable!

Attachments

• 2012-05-11 23.14.18.jpg
    2012-05-11 23.14.18.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 82
Also, interesting note lol, I found a rolly polly (you know, those bugs that are out side that roll into a ball). At least that's what it looks like, it's all base rock so there are no hitchikers and no corals yet. Sooo.. he looks pretty happy crawling in my rock though lol.

I really like him he's a cool guy. He'll just sit and stare.. watching the place. Him and the shrimp hang out a lot.

Can't vouch for the midas blenny.. never had one.

It's a pretty tough decision. The Midas swims like an eel and perches up on the rocks. But the goby looks sooo cool, seems like they have a lot of personality.

firefish died
water's good except for 20 nitrates - but that wouldn't kill a fish
dunno maybe stress from the rock replacement

good thing about nano fish is they are cheap

scottayy said:
firefish died
water's good except for 20 nitrates - but that wouldn't kill a fish
dunno maybe stress from the rock replacement

good thing about nano fish is they are cheap

Did you remove any LR from the system?

Yeah, there were like 7 pieces total in the DT (10 lbs) and about 10 more lbs in the sump. But I put 4 of the pieces that were in the DT in the sump and only took out 3. So out of about 20 lbs of live rock I only removed like 5 lbs.

I don't think that was the problem though - ammonia and nitrites are 0.

I'm thinking I don't have as much coral growing power as I thought. I got the 19W actinic which I thought was the light corals needed to grow. Turns out it's just more for looks and providing supplemental light of a different wavelength (from what I read). I'm thinking I should replace the 19W 445nm light with a 19W 8 white/4 blue fixture instead.

scottayy said:
I'm thinking I don't have as much coral growing power as I thought. I got the 19W actinic which I thought was the light corals needed to grow. Turns out it's just more for looks and providing supplemental light of a different wavelength (from what I read). I'm thinking I should replace the 19W 445nm light with a 19W 8 white/4 blue fixture instead.

The more blue the wavelength the less the par. So what I do is get 10k and use cheap blue led strips for the nice cool blue hue. Do you have reflectors on them?

Scott, as you know, the challenge with a nano tank is the lack of water volume and how touchy everything is. I'm no SW expert but I know that for me, even a 10g FW was a bit of a challenge compared to my 55g. I'm not surprised that you've lost a fish or 2 already and I'm sorry to hear it.

I would have defiantly cured that rock before using it in any size tank, let alone a nano like yours. My buddy removed about 30lbs of LR in a 80g frag tank last week reworking the structures and crashed the whole thing. I can't imagine what removing a few pounds of LR and adding a few of base rock is doing to your setup. Keep an eye on the levels as you're sure to have some spikes. Good luck with everything!

I've decided I'm going to tear this tank down. I put a few zoa frags in there to grow out and they're doing fine. But my passion is on my bigger tank and I seem to be neglecting this one. I guess I'm just a one tank kind of guy, lol.

I will be using the two koralia 240's and the mag drive 1.9 return pump. Obviously a 10 gallon, self plumbed and drilled tank is of no value so I'll be trashing that. LR and chaeto will go in my 55 sump. I'll be using the stand as a night stand beside my bed.

I guess the only thing I won't be using is the lights.

I have:
1 x ecoxotic panorama pro 19W LED light strip (8 whites, 4 blues) with reflector
1 x ecoxotic panorama pro 19W LED light strip (12 x blue) with reflector
1 x wall transformer
1 x 3 way splitter, so they all run on the same plug
and 1 x 5w led moonlight

I'll let all those go for $125 if someone wants to buy them. They're pretty new, in good shape, and retail for something like $235 all together. If not I'll let them sit in my boxes of fish stuff lol.

sorry to see you tearing it down, im sure owning two tanks would be hard, i would probably end up focusing on one tank also. good luck with the bigger tank!

I have two reef tanks . . . The only way to stay interested in both tanks is to always add something to both at the same time, or alternate new coral/fish. Keeps that new feeling going.

True, but then it gets expensive! I prefer to have 1 nice thank you can invest every pay check into, rather then 2-3 :)

Back
Top Bottom