Scott's DIY 10 Gallon Nano Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LPS on the sand bed? Do you mean SPS?

My tank is evaporating out of the DT. I marked the sump water line with tape. Granted, it's got an auto top off, but the water level in the DT has dropped about a half an inch over the past week. Why is this happening? Should I not have a ball valve on the drain line?

Well, I dint know what's happening with the evaporation, but I do know that it can be dangerous to have a ball valve on the valves. If it is closed a little too much, algae will grow over it and eventually clog the pipe entirely.

scottayy said:
LPS on the sand bed? Do you mean SPS?

My tank is evaporating out of the DT. I marked the sump water line with tape. Granted, it's got an auto top off, but the water level in the DT has dropped about a half an inch over the past week. Why is this happening? Should I not have a ball valve on the drain line?

No I mean LPS. SPS can be grown at the med top level

So confusing, I should just switch to t5's on this.. I know what I'm doing with those lol.

So 18W 10000k and 3W 453nm (the fixture I have now) probably isn't going to do much for corals?

And I have to figure out this problem with the evaporation. I have to have a ball valve on the drain line. It's a 3/4" line in a 10g tank. Can't have that running full force.

scottayy said:
So confusing, I should just switch to t5's on this.. I know what I'm doing with those lol.

So 18W 10000k and 3W 453nm (the fixture I have now) probably isn't going to do much for corals?

And I have to figure out this problem with the evaporation. I have to have a ball valve on the drain line. It's a 3/4" line in a 10g tank. Can't have that running full force.

No it will.... You can grow LPS under it

Will the 445nm royal blue stimulate coral growth as well? I like that color better than the 453nm.

it's been a week. ammonia 4, nitrites .5 :L
so impatient, this is torture

I am thinking that water is evaporating from my DT because my drain pipe is about 2" underwater. I suspect water would evaporate until it was just at this level. If I bring my drain pipe up to water level, it should stop evaporation in the DT, correct?

This is a drilled tank.. don't have a siphon. :p Unless you meant something different?

I'm pretty sure that's the problem.. only one way to find out though.

I'm going to take this time while cycling to build me a new stand. I hate this one. I rushed it and it's too bulky.

I do have an internal overflow to skim the surface of the water and keep critters out of my drain tube, but I drilled the tank. :) It's so much quieter than an HOB overflow.

Started on my new stand today. Building it out of 1x6's. Coming along quite nicely. I like it much better.

No change in water parameters.

Well, an update finally! Have good amount of nitrites.

Ammonia: 4
Nitrite: 2
Nitrate: 20

Getting there!

Also painting and clearcoating my new stand I build today.

No pictures yet.. paint takes a long time to dry lol. I just put the first coat of clear coat on and should be able to do the second coat in 3 or 4 hours. And then 3 or 4 hours of drying.. and then hinging the canopy and the door. So hopefully by tonight!

Back
Top Bottom