Scott's DIY 10 Gallon Nano Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope, I'll be doing water changes from the sump. Evaporation has plenty of venting with the open back stand and canopy. But I suppose I will if the wood starts rotting :D lol

True.. What type of paint are you using? I'm thinking of repainting mine also. Its a weird looking grey, wish it was black.

Not sure the brand. Just used a regular satin indoor black. Polyurethane for the coating (which I think would waterproof it, the outside at least).

I know when I put a canopy over my 55g, the skimmer skimmed out a bunch of stuff for a couple of days. So, I think I'm going to let this one extra dry so no fumes or anything get in the water.

Or, I could just put it on while I'm cycling. I'm going to be doing a very large water change anyways. hmm.

I used 1x4's (which are actually .75x3.5) for the front and sides, and a 1x2 for the top of the back. This leaves a two inch gap at the bottom. On the inside i put some 1x2s to hold the light (this LED light is only 1 inch thick).

I'm hoping it all fits good. I measured right but you never know! I'm thinking of putting little screws on the inside bottom edge so it won't fall off of the aquarium.. i wanted it the exact same size as the rim of the tank. Maybe with the screws in there it will stop it if it tries to slide.

Pictures coming soon. All I have to do is put the door on and hinge the canopy.

Sounds great. Youll definitely need screws though. Then just use putty and paint over them on the outside to make it look clean.

Not all the way dry yet, and the pictures don't do it justice:

img_1812389_0_0c8dfc4b3ba51fa873b0f351023817d3.jpg

canopy.. i'm holding it hinged open a bit
img_1812389_1_826e3eb6817c870f3be3f1a634d58462.jpg

No idea! lol, guess we will figure that out today.
I'm thinking just empty the water into a bucket, lift and place, refill with the same water.

I hope I have the shelf and drain hole in the right place. Going to be so mad if I have to saw or drill some more.

needmorecowbell, you are keeping me excited about the build :D
thanks for keeping up with my build thread!

All set up and moved over to the new stand. Went without a single hitch. This looks so so so so so much better than the old stand. It's a little bit uneven, I'll have to put a small board under one side of it.

img_1814211_0_2c062dbe7588a4b7f9c835794ca697e1.jpg

img_1814211_1_c1e7e666a8e526f7a333ddb052b93e48.jpg

img_1814211_2_e69485c3cd0c2142dc833a83872214ea.jpg

Thank you, I do feel mighty proud of it. :D

Thinking about using some sticky-back velcro tape so the canopy doesn't slide off. I think that would be better than screws. Gravity holds it on, velcro would stop it from sliding.

Velcro Sticky-Back Tape

What kind of DIY projects?

Velcro would work to, I don't know how easy it would be to take it on and off though.

The more I look at threads the more I want to do.. A canopy, Cree led fixture, sump, and a water change station.

Don't need to take it off really. The top hinges open. A water change station would be sweet if I had the space.

Those are some nice DIY projects to do.

Thanks! :)

It's a pretty sweet light fixture. My only complaint is it doesn't have a separate cord for blues and whites.

Also the 3W of actinics isn't a whole bunch. I'm going to add a 6W stunner strip.

Back
Top Bottom