Sniperhank's Red Sea S-series 500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It’s been way too long since I’ve updated. I recently added 10 nudibranch to eat the aiptasia yesterday. Of course the peppermint that has been gone for months shows back up, so I assume he’s consumed them. Good job there.
Other than that, things remain the same. Only the purple tang and the coral in the system

I don't like Peppermint shrimp any more. Too darn aggressive.

So if you could capture the Peppermint shrimp and put him in a temp tank and give the Nudibranch some time to work...

It’s my work weekend. I tried to no avail to grab that stupid thing, but can’t even find my net. He’ll become a sump inhabitant if I can get him. If not, I have no hard feelings towards simply crushing him...but can’t get that close yet either.

I wouldn’t call it an algae issue. The rock is def mature and very minimal any type of growth noticeable, I sometimes want to overreact to the stuff.
But yes, the tang is fat and pleased having a tank to himself lol.

I just realized how long it has been since I've updated this thread. The 12 hour work days and child after school activities have really sucked my time away.

SO, as it stands all I have is the purple tang in the tank and the corals that have continued to do their thing.
I think I have seen less aiptasia...but we'll see...I haven't seen a single nudibranch around after lights out.
I have only ever seen one remaining sexy shrimp. I just noticed today as I was scraping the glass that it is much larger than when I bought it and...she's holding eggs. I'm sure they won't make a population in my system, but is still really cool and points towards all what is hidden and happening behind the scenes in the tank.

Sorry for no pictures, I have a lot of coraline on my front glass that needs taken care of.

I had a really huge Sexy shrimp female. Don't think I have seen any for quite awhile now. I miss them. They are a favorite for sure.

Good to hear the Tang is happy. Gotta be happy for the good things!

Work and obligations and family really do take up so much time! Having the one fish is good too so you don't need to mess with the tank too much.

Yeah. I’ve had thoughts of adding another tang, but haven’t found the right one. There’s food, I’m way behind in my water changes lol.
While I was looking in the tank, I not only saw that darn peppermint shrimp, but the second sexy shrimp was out along with the sea hare. Pretty cool.

The Peppermint shrimp is taunting you, lol.

I would love to have a Sea Slug (my tank is too small for now). They look like a fun creature to observe.

Heading over to my tank, behind the boxes to see if I can find my last Sexy shrimp... the lfs is always out of them.

An Urchin will nom up some excess tank snacks. :)

I was just thinking about getting another urchin. They did a good job of keeping things in check when paired up with the sea hare.

Little does the peppermint know is that I ordered a trap for him. See if he makes it to the end of the week.

Another too long between posting post. This time, after a trip to my local Petco for dog food, I spotted and nabbed myself my favorite of the smaller tangs...the yellow eyed kole tang. As those two feel each other out, there was also another addition that I saw while the prior was being bagged. An ORA aiptasia eating filefish. Very interested to see how this one works out. So far feeling out its environment. We'll see...get those aiptasia!

Hopefully he eats his fill!

I think I may have seen one of the Yellow Eye at my local store, they had a bunch of different Tangs maybe 5 kinds... more than usual anyway.

Hope they can be happy companions.

It is a very interesting fish, that's for sure. Kinda floats around and likes the top of my tank...I'd like him by the rock and sandbed where the aiptasia is though. So far everyone appears to be adjusting well. Hard to gauge as I had my hand in the tank for awhile today during lights on scraping away ignored coraline algae off of the front glass and then I stirred up the sandbed some. Had a lot of build up in it.

As it stands, the filefish I picked up has been snacking his way through the aiptasia. I was looking things over as lights came on this morning and it appears as though the ones in the sandbed are slowly vanishing. I'm quite pleased with this progress. Hopefully the big ones will follow suit.

As it stands, I haven't been able to find a single aiptasia. I couldn't be happier. I had been ignoring how to solve the problem of having a coral nipper in the tank once the aiptasia was gone, but guess who went carpet surfing while I was asleep? Yep, one ORA aiptasia eating filefish turned himself into jerky. Though Not a fan of things being put to death because it outran its usefulness, doing it on its own made it easier than trying to rehome.

Back
Top Bottom