Sumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexRoerden

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, I’m new to the hobby currently with a 37 gallon gallon tank with only live rock. Soon I want to upgrade to a 100+ gallon tank. I’ve been doing some research on sumps and this is my plan and I want your opinion on it.... 30 gallon sump, with a sediment filter that I would attach to the main line, a small protein skimmer in the next chamber , and a refugium. I believe if I was custom making a sump I would need 3 or 4 chambers? one for each item listed and a small section for a return pump?, also what about a overflow area?

Will the new tank be drilled? A skimmer should be rated for about 1.5 x the size of your tank so for a 100 gallon, a 150g rated skimmer and so on. The baffles in your sump will need to be placed depending on how big your skimmer is to accommodate it.

Will the new tank be drilled? A skimmer should be rated for about 1.5 x the size of your tank so for a 100 gallon, a 150g rated skimmer and so on. The baffles in your sump will need to be placed depending on how big your skimmer is to accommodate it.

What would be my other option besides drilling a new tank. Does my layout for the tank sound good with a sediment filter a protein skimmer and a refugeum

There are HOB overflows. I personally prefer ones with a siphon on them, like CPR, to put an aqualifter pump on it to prevent siphon loss. I had several overflows due to siphon loss and when 15 bucks-ish a year can prevent that... I'm a fan.

Back
Top Bottom