Tank arrived finally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the lfs just got in some clowns, mandarins, a niger trigger and an awesome baby snowflake moray. everything eating prepared food. might have to put some on hold :)

I would wait on the mandarin. It needs an established tank as they eat a TON of pods daily. Even the ones that eat frozen foods have been known to stop out of the blue when pods are present.

BallinCrew10 said:
I would wait on the mandarin. It needs an established tank as they eat a TON of pods daily. Even the ones that eat frozen foods have been known to stop out of the blue when pods are present.

Yeah i was talking to the guy about those as i have been following a lot of threads about them. Such a pity caus they r awesome little fish. I think ill put two clowns, the eel and niger on hold tonight :)

Yea to be honest I believe they're best left in the ocean, but if you're going to do it waiting and allowing your pod population to build would dramatically help your chances of keeping it alive.

BallinCrew10 said:
Yea to be honest I believe they're best left in the ocean, but if you're going to do it waiting and allowing your pod population to build would dramatically help your chances of keeping it alive.

Yeah with u on that one. Would love to have a pair but wont b happening.

O oh. My gorgeous girl in all her wisdom thought she would surprise me when i got home by collecting my two clowns that i had on hold, acclimating them and having them playfully swimming around my new tank. Now the only problem is. My NEW tank. Only been running for a week. I wasnt expecting too much of a cycle caus all the rock is from an established tank. The sand is pfs and the water i collected from the ocean do u think i could keep these guys happy with more than frequent water changes? I dont really want to upset her by pulling them out and taking them back. She is so happy with herself

That's a tough one. It can be done with them in the tank, you just need to keep the ammonia and nitrites down with water changes. It will prolong the cycling process as well.

Also, explain to her there's more to it than just buying any fish and throwing it in. Surprises in this hobby are bad lol. I had to have the same talk with my wife and aunt haha. Gift cards to your LFS are much better gifts than fish you can't keep.

BallinCrew10 said:
That's a tough one. It can be done with them in the tank, you just need to keep the ammonia and nitrites down with water changes. It will prolong the cycling process as well.

Also, explain to her there's more to it than just buying any fish and throwing it in. Surprises in this hobby are bad lol. I had to have the same talk with my wife and aunt haha. Gift cards to your LFS are much better gifts than fish you can't keep.

K ill give it a go. Its only my small tank thank gawd. Ill change twenty litres every second day and try keep on top of it. Glad she never got the eel aswell. And here i was planning my cuc. Lol.
Yeah ill remind her once again. Cheers mate. I feel enlightened now. Even though ill b doing frequent water changes all good. Thanks again. Ill put a pic of em up later. They seem ok

AusAaron said:
K ill give it a go. Its only my small tank thank gawd. Ill change twenty litres every second day and try keep on top of it. Glad she never got the eel aswell. And here i was planning my cuc. Lol.
Yeah ill remind her once again. Cheers mate. I feel enlightened now. Even though ill b doing frequent water changes all good. Thanks again. Ill put a pic of em up later. They seem ok

The fact that its a small tank might work against you. The smaller volume of water means the ammonia and nitrites will rise faster. Just keep testing and doing water changes. Clowns are fairly hardy and can take some pretty poor water conditions.

BallinCrew10 said:
The fact that its a small tank might work against you. The smaller volume of water means the ammonia and nitrites will rise faster. Just keep testing and doing water changes. Clowns are fairly hardy and can take some pretty poor water conditions.

K. Yeah true. I might do twenty litres a day to keep on it. Wouldnt want to upset the lil guys

Bige said:
Go get some dr tims. It will add the bacteria and you will be fine.

IMO, products like these: bacteria in a bottle, live sand in a bag, are just a sales pitch to make money. How would bacteria survive for months on end sitting on the shelf in an airtight container with no ammonia to consume? I would save your money, or spend it on established LR that will actually help.

BallinCrew10 said:
IMO, products like these: bacteria in a bottle, live sand in a bag, are just a sales pitch to make money. How would bacteria survive for months on end sitting on the shelf in an airtight container with no ammonia to consume? I would save your money, or spend it on established LR that will actually help.

Dr. Tims one and only actually helps. It's refrigerated to slow down the movement of the bacteria which helps them last longer.

Ibrahim said:
Dr. Tims one and only actually helps. It's refrigerated to slow down the movement of the bacteria which helps them last longer.

I don't have any experiences with this individual product so I can't say it works or not. I just feel that there's no way the bacteria can survive without oxygen for that long.

Also, with pieces of LR it helps your situation and looks good too lol.

BallinCrew10 said:
I don't have any experiences with this individual product so I can't say it works or not. I just feel that there's no way the bacteria can survive without oxygen for that long.

Also, with pieces of LR it helps your situation and looks good too lol.

That's true but the bacteria is cheaper. I used bottled bacteria on my pico and haven't lost a fish or critter yet. Infact the feather duster I thought died didn't. I saw him come out a couple days ago.

K ill read up on it and see if my lfs has any. My lr was already established out of another tank but i might go get some more if theres any left. Thanks guys

The clowns r having a bit of a blue. But is normal i think. Hope

Nice, I have 2 clowns as well. The one is battling some serious ich, but has been improving over the last couple days. Here's hoping. Hope yours dont get too stressed out and end up like mine.

Back
Top Bottom