The Rebirth/Rebuild of my 180g sps thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acronuts

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well not sure how to start but I guess from the beginning. This past summer my work took my away for 4 months. While work these days is a rarity, to me it was a no brainer. Do it! Make money to pay bills and support your addiction.
While away I paid my nephew to take care of the 180 gallon reef tank which had been established now for about 2 years. My nephew took care of feeding, 10 % water changes every other week. I would have him photograph the tank and send me pics via email. Things would look very good, parameters good as well.
At this point you are saying well what the heck happened.
Majano anemones is what happened! In four months I had a massive infestation! I tried using the anaptaiser product but only got a few. I tried picking rocks out and scrapping the suckers off but they quickly came back! I tried boiling RO water but they seemed to laugh at me!!!
Then I felt I had no choice...... Total tank tear down!!! I hated the thought but it was the only way to get rid these pests!

I had been contemplating making a few changes so I thought this would be a perfect time. I was not thrilled with my aquascape, I wanted to go bare bottom and I wanted to get back to the basics.
Good old time tested techniques!
Kalk additions, monthly water changes, aggresive skimming and carbon filtration.
This is what I know best and what seems to work time and time again.
And so it begins........9-16-2011
Week 1 of tear down
I had to start slowly 25% water change removed 25% of the rock work.
Week 2 of tear down
25% water change and another 25% of the rock removed.
Week 3 of tear down
25% water change and another 25% of rock removed
Week 4 of tear down
Last of rocks removed no water change at this point. Why? I want to keep as much of the old water as possible for the good bacteria in the water column.
The rock is sitting on the side of my yard where I hose it down every couple of days to get rid of any loose dead life. I plan on letting it air out 4 weeks to make sure any possible majanos have completely died.
Here is my tank now with all rock removed and even though some sand is still visable it will be completely gone by this weekend.
img_1581521_0_c1cad5082a3644a9bd35714ac4df5887.jpg

img_1581521_1_f61f84bfe2376822fabb83a6e21422c0.jpg

As for the corals that were in my tank I have given them away to my fellow hobbists. I kept what I wanted. Like Blue Oregon tort.
Fish are doing well and are feed every other day. Only my mystery wrasse somehow got caught in one of my vortechs. Very strange!
I did not want just glass at the bottom so I opted for "starboard" material.
It is safe and salt water proof. In the industry it is used for boating material.
Several other guys on the forums use it and I know my lfs uses it exclusively.
World Wide Corals has installed the starboard material on their main display tanks. It allows coralline algae to grow on it's surface and in a short time looks really good.
My tank measures 6 feet long by 24 inches wide. It will take 3 , 2' by 2' square sections. The corners are jig sawed for the corner over flow boxes.
img_1581521_2_6e3a065f7cb0dc6f800a3d108bdb75f0.jpg

img_1581521_3_db2e34789d6bedf699fec23c75ac0035.jpg

I plan on siliconing the pieces to the bottom of the tank so that detritus does not settle underneath the starboard and the glass.
Well this is it for now guys. I will update soon!:)

sorry to hear about ur mystery wrasse.. beautiful and expansive fish
If I would have known I would have taken some of ur corals (live in Orlando) and would have kept em save for you until you wanted em back.

I'm not really a fan of bare bottoms, but to each its own... if thats what you like than go with it :)
Will definitely follow ur thread
GOOD LUCK!!!

sorry to hear about ur mystery wrasse.. beautiful and expansive fish
If I would have known I would have taken some of ur corals (live in Orlando) and would have kept em save for you until you wanted em back.

I'm not really a fan of bare bottoms, but to each its own... if thats what you like than go with it :)
Will definitely follow ur thread
GOOD LUCK!!!

Thanks Unicorn!

I knew that it would be better to have as few animals to take care thru the transition. Too bad I did not post the change sooner I would have taken you up on the offer!

Just out of curiosity do you guys think as a precaution I should bleach the entire system?
How about the live rock that has been sitting out in my back yard? Should I bleach them as well?

Acronuts said:
Just out of curiosity do you guys think as a precaution I should bleach the entire system?
How about the live rock that has been sitting out in my back yard? Should I bleach them as well?

Why would you want to put bleach in there? For what purpose? Doesn't that so bad stuff to ur rock?

In my opinion, the rock is going to become dead rock soon so bleech or white vinigar would not harm it anymore than leaving it out. But, it would kill off any unwanted critters that might live through it. If I were to do so, I would make sure I wash it very well before I started to cure the rock again.

In my opinion, the rock is going to become dead rock soon so bleech or white vinigar would not harm it anymore than leaving it out. But, it would kill off any unwanted critters that might live through it. If I were to do so, I would make sure I wash it very well before I started to cure the rock again.

Good point the rock sitting out will kill any bacteria/animals. It is that I am not sure about bleaching as the rocks could potentially absorb the bleach and then I would be stuck with rock that seeps bleach out. On another note I certainly only plan if I do bleach the rock for only 24 hrs. Then it's out and rinse throughly.

I think I would use the white vinegar, then you can check by PH when you rinse them. If they soak in RO for an hour without changing the PH, you are golden.

I think I would use the white vinegar, then you can check by PH when you rinse them. If they soak in RO for an hour without changing the PH, you are golden.

You haven given me an idea! I think I will bleach the rocks for 48 hrs then soak them in vinegar water for 48 hrs and check ph as you suggested.
Thanks,
gregcoyote

Well guys here is the middle of the 3rd week and the sand bed is almost gone.
I am stocking up on some items that will be needed.
I bought more IO salt mix and changed all my RO cartidges.
I also bought a couple of tubes of aquarium silicon for "gluing" the star board.
In order to get the aquascape I am aiming for I am stocking up on the 2 part epoxy. One mistake I made before was that I just put rocks on top on each other and hoped for the best.
Here are a couple of shots to show the live rock that has been sitting outside. Looks like it is clearing up nicely. As for smell not too bad either!
img_1590693_0_82c5fdad7534bd18eec8c04068a931de.jpg

img_1590693_1_2106aa76664e09e96fbd02beaf9e1974.jpg

Next week is a big week! Stay tuned.........

Acronuts said:
Well guys here is the middle of the 3rd week and the sand bed is almost gone.
I am stocking up on some items that will be needed.
I bought more IO salt mix and changed all my RO cartidges.
I also bought a couple of tubes of aquarium silicon for "gluing" the star board.
In order to get the aquascape I am aiming for I am stocking up on the 2 part epoxy. One mistake I made before was that I just put rocks on top on each other and hoped for the best.
Here are a couple of shots to show the live rock that has been sitting outside. Looks like it is clearing up nicely. As for smell not too bad either!

Next week is a big week! Stay tuned.........

Looking good! Seams like you are busy ;)
I used epoxy on my rocks too and it's working great

Good luck and keep us posted

Acronuts said:
Yep spent another 23 bucks on epoxy, now that is 4 tubes looking to get around 10 tubes all together.

Wow, that a lot of tubes! I used one on mine LOL

Acronuts said:
Well unicorn my plans hopefully will require for me to use quite a bit. Any leftovers will be for corals.

Well, I can't wait to see what you have in mind for aquascaping, must be quiet the project

Back
Top Bottom