Todd's Square 35g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTodd

Aquarium Advice Addict
With my 240g FOWLR going fallow for the next couple months, I decided to start our bedroom corner tank. I had an acrylic hexagon that was used as a QT, but wanted to go larger, reef and square tanks have been catching my eye lately, so square it was. Here is what I came up with today. It is 24x24x14".

The stand is lower than I want, so I'm going to see if I can get another 8-10" added to the top, so it is more eye level on my side of the bed. I'm also going to build a simple hood. I am going to run a hanger off the wall for the LED panel.

I have not figured out filtration yet. Leaning towards a HOB skimmer and weekly water changes, but am going to look into something underneath. Not sure if there is enough height for a small sump and skimmer now, but will see once I add height to the stand.

I hope to get one that is 24" tall, so I'm watching CL to see if one comes up. This works for now, as I plan to add frags. The extra height will allow me to spread things out as they grow.

image-2789072634.jpg
image-744429247.jpg

Here's what I've got in another tank waiting to go in...

Grandis Paly
image-504530888.jpg

Purple and Green Hammer
image-3464763896.jpg

King Midas Zoas
image-1286468698.jpg

Flamin' Punk Rockers (already doubled from 2 to 4 in just two weeks)
image-3179937596.jpg

Superman Mushroom
image-3226674714.jpg

Ricordia
image-1561269082.jpg

Green Starburst Polyps (briareium)
image-1102621244.jpg

St. Thomas Mushroom
image-3081948732.jpg

I too am upgrading to a 35 cube in my bedroom. Only my tank is 20x20x20. I was thinking for filtration an aquatop cf400uv + weekly WC/canister cleaning. Anyway, that might change and I'm following along for any ideas!

I kinda wish I went a little taller, but I think this will work for a while. I'm just buying frags to start. I think eventually I will go with a 24x24x24 as some things grow.

I'm still working on making the stand taller. Been busy with family on the weekends, so it's going slower than I had hoped. I grabbed a CPR BakPak skimmer on eBay. I figure between that and weekly water changes and light stocking, things should work out.

I kinda wish I went a little taller, but I think this will work for a while. I'm just buying frags to start. I think eventually I will go with a 24x24x24 as some things grow.

I'm still working on making the stand taller. Been busy with family on the weekends, so it's going slower than I had hoped. I grabbed a CPR BakPak skimmer on eBay. I figure between that and weekly water changes and light stocking, things should work out.

I have a CPR bak pak on my 37g, works great, gives me half a cup a day.

Looking good! Any plans for fish?

I gave plans , but never seem to stick to them 100%. :) As if right now, I am looking at getting a Rainsford Goby, Randall's Goby, either a Tanaka's Pygmy or White a Banded Possum wrasse and maybe a Lawnmower Blenny. Maybe add a shrimp to pair with the goby? Maybe some snails and an interesting crab or two (porcelain or something like that). I kinda want to keep stocking minimal and stay with fairly small fish. My longer term goals are to go taller (20" or 24") and I might add more at that point. We will see how much of this sticks with the plan.

I gave plans , but never seem to stick to them 100%. :) As if right now, I am looking at getting a Rainsford Goby, Randall's Goby, either a Tanaka's Pygmy or White a Banded Possum wrasse and maybe a Lawnmower Blenny. Maybe add a shrimp to pair with the goby? Maybe some snails and an interesting crab or two (porcelain or something like that). I kinda want to keep stocking minimal and stay with fairly small fish. My longer term goals are to go taller (20" or 24") and I might add more at that point. We will see how much of this sticks with the plan.

I have a starry blenny in all of my tanks big enough to have one, great fish. Everything else sounds good, but let me warn you! Feed your pistol shrimp nori twice a week, my pistol in my 20g has killed and eaten-

2 margarita snails
1 nassarius snail
1 banded trochus snail
5 dwarf zebra hermits

And has attacked-
Baby starry blenny (1")
Blue tux urchin
2" blue nuckel hermit

And the shrimp is only 2 1/2"!

...but let me warn you! Feed your pistol shrimp nori twice a week...!

I will keep that on mind. My LFS gets pairs sometimes, so when I am ready, I will probably grab whatever I see first. The shrimp/goby relationship is interesting, so I'm not picky on the exact pairing.

I will keep that on mind. My LFS gets pairs sometimes, so when I am ready, I will probably grab whatever I see first. The shrimp/goby relationship is interesting, so I'm not picky on the exact pairing.

Yeah, its pretty cool, my yellow watchman and shrimp paired up a few months ago. But they have had some fighting so its every week they get in a fight and break up, then get back together. Wierd but funny!

Would a Coral Banded Shrimp get along with a Pistol? They had them at the LFS today and I almost grabbed one, but then figured I would wait and be sure.

That's why I try not to do impulse buys. :). Anyone else have experience with those having issues with one another. I'm kinda leaning towards going with just the pistol if I have to choose between the two.

Back
Top Bottom