Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Members Saltwater Tanks Showcase
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #141
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EriksFish315 View Post
Awesome tank. What kind of lighting are you using? And can we get a FTS.
I have Kessil light in ocean blue. There's actually a recent FTS on Page 12.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #142
Aquarium Advice Addict

I FINALLY got a decent pic of my YWG and tiger pistol!! It can be days and days between sightings of these guys sometimes. So here's the BFFs:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2635691782.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	136657

Name:	image-212722776.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	136658

Old 12-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #143
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just thought this was funny:

Was feeding tonight and I put some food in the pistol/goby's burrow entrance as usual. Shortly after that, a Nassarius went into the burrow, following the scent of food, and about 30 seconds later the pistol was pushing the snail out of the burrow!! Haha. It was funny to watch him pushing the snail out of his home.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #144
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You're lucky he didn't drag the nassarius further in.......... and finish him off.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #145
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque View Post
You're lucky he didn't drag the nassarius further in.......... and finish him off.
I know, right??!!! My daughter saw the snail cruise in there and was yelling at me to save it (not sure how I was supposed to do that cuz it was ENTIRELY in the burrow), and then we saw him getting pushed out! Lol. The pistol has pulled snails cruising by into the burrow before, but I guess it helped that I had just given him food. It was the snail's lucky day!!
Old 12-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #146
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Lol. Dude Been, I have similar things happen in my tank from my nar snails. I have one that is half the size of my blood shrimp that motors over everything.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #147
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Lol. Dude Been, I have similar things happen in my tank from my nar snails. I have one that is half the size of my blood shrimp that motors over everything.
Yeah, when the Nassarius catch onto the smell of food, they're kinda like the bloodhounds of the tanks-just barreling their way to the food and not worried about anything else. Haha
I have some good sized Nassarius too, but here's a pic of one of the baby Nassarius that hatched a little while back. They were even tinier, a little bigger now. Still pretty small, though-that brain near it is only about 2" across, but looks HUGE next to the baby nass. Lol

Name:	image-3360004919.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	136730
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #148
Aquarium Advice Regular

I hope mine start breeding might help the diatom bloom I have going on! Lol
Old 12-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #149
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlgrey23 View Post
I hope mine start breeding might help the diatom bloom I have going on! Lol
Yeah, I was pretty surprised any babies hatched- I thought they'd all be eaten by the fish before they did.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #150
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl View Post

Yeah, I was pretty surprised any babies hatched- I thought they'd all be eaten by the fish before they did.
My Nas snails breed like rabbits but the fish and inverts never eat them. But my cleaner & peppermint shrimp drop fry almost weekly and those get gobbled up uber quick.

Tank looks great btw!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #151
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your tank looks cool. I'll be asking you when I have questions about mine as well. I want to do the shrimp goby thing as well. So cool!!!

SRC <><
55 Gallon, DIY Live Rock, 2 Taotronics 130w LEDs, CPR HOB skimmer and refugium, 525 GPH SunSun 5-stage Canister with UV Sterilizer using Chemi-pure Elite, and Two Fishes GFO reactor and 3 800 GPH powerheads. <><
San Raphael Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #152
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Raphael Catfish View Post
Your tank looks cool. I'll be asking you when I have questions about mine as well. I want to do the shrimp goby thing as well. So cool!!!

SRC <><
Thank you so much! It's been a labor of love.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:04 AM   #153
Aquarium Advice Freak

What is the funniest part of the goby shrimp duo? Are gobies and blennies ok together? I want get a lawnmower blenny as well.
55 Gallon, DIY Live Rock, 2 Taotronics 130w LEDs, CPR HOB skimmer and refugium, 525 GPH SunSun 5-stage Canister with UV Sterilizer using Chemi-pure Elite, and Two Fishes GFO reactor and 3 800 GPH powerheads. <><
Old 12-15-2012, 02:07 AM   #154
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What is the funniest part of the goby shrimp duo? Are gobies and blennies ok together? I want get a lawnmower blenny as well.
You can have a goby and a blenny. I have a YWG and a starry blenny, and they get along fine.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:48 AM   #155
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Just realized I only answered part I this question. I like the goby/shrimp combo cuz it's fun to watch them when the shrimp is digging and building. At first they didn't come out too much, but they've gotten more comfortable and come out more now. If you get a combo, put some shell fragments outside of the burrow opening and the shrimp will pull them in to use to shore up his walls inside. He can pull in pieces that ill think are way too big for him, but he does it. He's really strong for his size. He's quite the engineer, uses flat pieces as overhangs. One time he had this small flat piece and he reached up to put it on top of another shell and it fell down into the hole. This happened 3 times in a row, then finally he grabbed it, walked out and around and put it up there that way. He was determined that that piece was going in that spot. Lol.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #156
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl View Post

Just realized I only answered part I this question. I like the goby/shrimp combo cuz it's fun to watch them when the shrimp is digging and building. At first they didn't come out too much, but they've gotten more comfortable and come out more now. If you get a combo, put some shell fragments outside of the burrow opening and the shrimp will pull them in to use to shore up his walls inside. He can pull in pieces that ill think are way too big for him, but he does it. He's really strong for his size. He's quite the engineer, uses flat pieces as overhangs. One time he had this small flat piece and he reached up to put it on top of another shell and it fell down into the hole. This happened 3 times in a row, then finally he grabbed it, walked out and around and put it up there that way. He was determined that that piece was going in that spot. Lol.
Sounds very fun. Very much looking forward to getting my own pair!
Old 12-16-2012, 02:33 AM   #157
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quick question. I have a hitchhiker pistol shrimp in my tank. If i were to get a goby would they pair up?
Old 12-16-2012, 02:59 AM   #158
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid-dude View Post
Quick question. I have a hitchhiker pistol shrimp in my tank. If i were to get a goby would they pair up?
Depends which type of pistol it is. Not all pistols pair.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:40 AM   #159
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid-dude View Post
What's it look like? Candy cane pistol? Tiger pistol? Certain pistols pair with certain kinds of gobies in the wild.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #160
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry its a tiger pistol

Tags
55 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com