2 Gold Rams laying eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tsonnenl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a pair of Gold Rams two weeks ago. They are still fairly small (about 3/4 inch, although one is slightly larger), both appear to be of the same sex, both with pinkish stomachs, and now they are both laying eggs in the same spot on a piece of driftwood. Yes, I see eggs coming out of both of them, and it does seem like an awful amount of eggs for just one fish to have layed. They're also not being as territorial as I expected from what I have read here. They're only protecting an area about 6 inches in circumference, although the spot they picked is well protected by plants on all sides. Is this normal for female fish to lay eggs even without a mate? Maybe I'm wrong about the sexes?

your not wrong about the sexes if you saw eggs comming out of both of them, with no male too fetalize the eggs they will turn white and be dead, if i where you i would wait and see if the eggs turn white and then take the eggs out and buy a male, then when they breed you can sell the babys.

They are coming out white actually. I read about orangish eggs for the blue ram, but wasn't sure if that might be different for its relative that is written about even less. I still would have thought that the females would not even lay eggs without a male around.

I'm trying to limit my tank purchases until I move though, so raising them isn't realistically going to happen, even though I'm curious. Maybe down the road. Looks like lunch for now...

wierd? iv never seen the eggs come out white, from three different species of fish, 2 types cichlids and 1 type catfish all of the eggs came out clear and a bite orange, im not sure why they laid eggs with no male, is there another type of cichlid that could be a male in the tank?

Its a 72g community tank with mostly tetras. The only other cichlids in there are a pair of juvenile angels that were added at the same time. I can't tell their sexes.

I'm starting to wonder if I saw them laying them at all. Maybe I mistook the 'spout' on both of them for an egg being dropped. I still think I saw it, but that would make more sense if maybe they laid them during the day and were just fanning them while I was watching.

Actually, 2 of the 9 amano shrimp are carrying eggs now too... Everybody's getting some action in this tank I guess.

Back
Top Bottom