2 Parrot Fish Hiding.. ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macman60

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got a ? I have 4 Parrot Fish in a 65g acrylic tank I've had these fish for several years now and now all of a sudden I've had a male to do the sex dance and he and the female have been hidden behind this large piece of fake coral that is in the photo and yesterday my girlfriend saw one of the fish blowing a white substance out of it's mouth and they especially the male have been digging into the sand behind the fake coral do I have a breeding pair of Parrot fish as this has happened to me a few years ago when I had a baby parrot fish in my tank believe or not Help am I right or wrong on what is going on in my tank ? (The Parrot fish in the photo isn't one of the one's hiding by the way)

Yes I believe you're seeing mating behavior. But I'm not a expert on parrots.

I upped the temperature by 2 degrees and changed the water today seeing the kissing between the two and there is a very large area behind the fake coral that is dug out a lot and they will not leave each other's side as the male is doing the digging and the female is very protective of the area...

I upped the temperature by 2 degrees and changed the water today seeing the kissing between the two and there is a very large area behind the fake coral that is dug out a lot and they will not leave each other's side as the male is doing the digging and the female is very protective of the area...
Actually this is the time of breeding for parrot fishes. They are actually preparing for breeding. They may give birth of baby fishes or may not. Because currently there are so many fishes in market that looks similar to that of the blood parrot but genetically different from the pure one. That's why they are fertile. Any way, be careful while doing water changes and don't disturb the area of their interest. Best of luck

Back
Top Bottom