21 platy fry :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettyvacant

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yesterday I bought a pregnant mickeymouse platy...and she was really big. I put her in my QT last night hoping that if she had babies, I could maybe keep some. I put a big plastic plant in so it would float on the top.

This morning when I woke up, I saw a little orange thing on the blue plastic plant. I looked closer to see that it was a baby platy :) ! I looked around the tank and only found 2 others. Then, 3 hours later, I saw 2 more!

Finally after 45 minutes, i collected 21 babies and put them in a floating box thing. I know this happens all the time to people on here, but for me, this is the first time this has happened and I feel so special LOL. Anyway, I really hope they survive. I found one of them on the bottom of the tank, curled up and it seemed to be shaped kind of weird. Oh well, I am just happy I rescued 21 of them :D

I really want to try my best to keep these babies alive and to take the best care of them possible. So, since many of you have had experiences like this, maybe you could give me some tips on how to keep them alive.... All i know is that my water has to be good and to feed them crushed flake food 2-3 times a day. Anything else?

thankyou :D

sorry for putting the pic twice

Attachments

• picture_001_124.jpg
    picture_001_124.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 113
  • picture_001_236.jpg
    picture_001_236.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 218
Very nice!
If you grind up your flakes fine enough, then that should be sufficient to raise them. And if you want quality foods for fry, check your lfs! Hikari first bites is good (so I've heard from other members).
Congrats!

after about 6 - 8 weeks , some live brine shrimp would be good for them - just to change it up like u would with a community tank.,

i breed platies to sell to my lfs, and currently have a tank with 50 of them reaching around 1 inch long each. for the first couple of weeks crushed fish flakes are sufficient, but after that i add in some tubifex worms for good measure. the best way to breed them i've found is to get a little plastic breeder that goes in the tank, that way they all survive

well its been more than 24 hours now :) all 21 of them are still living in their floating box and they have been eating well. very crushed flakes 3 times a day :) i hope they last more than a week!

All my Kudos to you! good luck. (my fry got eaten cuz I didn't notice them soon enough)

Back
Top Bottom